• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Affordable Card that will run doom 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zfire

Registered
When i run doom 3 my video card cant keep up with it and there is lag what is a good low cost card that will run doom 3 well thats under $100

You can also get a 9600pro. 1024/medium runs very well. New, I think they are $100. Used, you can probably get one sub $80.

That is true, but recently Ati has improved it. The 9600pro plays it well none-the-less and you will get eyecandy the Ti wont show.

Zfire said:
When i run doom 3 my video card cant keep up with it and there is lag what is a good low cost card that will run doom 3 well thats under $100
Depends on what you mean by "well". If you are thinking playable with any sort of eyecandy that simply is out of the question for atleast another year.

Doom 3 is a very dark game so there is very, very little noticeable difference between a DX8 and a DX9 card while playing it. HL2 in contrast has much more visible eye candy, particularly the water reflections, because the environment is well lit.

Considering the point about OpenGL you definitely want to go nVidia (ATI has improved but still lags behind), and for the money a Ti4600 can't be touched. You'll get solid fps and not miss anything. I have a friend with a 6800GT and have gotten to play on his rig, and while the GT is better I don't feel like I'm missing much at all when I return to my Ti.

Yeah a TI4600, wouldn't be a bad choice. Maybe some kinda of 6600 hybrid for AGP or somet?

I'd lean towards the 9600pro, because I'm sure Doom 3 won't be the only game played with the card. No point getting a 4600 just to play Doom 3 and then next month wishing you had something a little more modern when you go to play HL2 or Far Cry.

Plus they overclock like mad.

Just bought a 9600 xt 256mb for 89 including shipping, and runs doom3 high quality 800x600 no prob. It is almost better than the 5900 I have running on another rig, as the lack of mem impacts perfromance in Doom3.

Used 9700 pro off of ebay.

You have to watch video cards like a hawk on ebay,people list things when they need money and put stupid low buy it nows on them.

-Saw a 9700 pro in the original box with everything go for $80.
-Saw a sapphire 9600XT go for $60
-I bought a MSI FX-5200 for $25 with tons of games and a remote.

TI4600 is still a good card, but in the run of things thinking of future 9600pro/xt is a better buy.

I'm more partial to nVidia, but I also can't disagree with the 9600pro/xt suggestion. Either that or the Ti would be a good choice for general gaming on a budget. Both have their pros and cons.

In Opengl, the x800 cards are the ones that can't match the 6***. But radeon 9*** is usually just 3 fps behind the competitor (fx, ti), so I would say 9600pro is the best buy.

Dan

Back