• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

awww....made the switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
I made the switch back from ATI to nvidia :clap: I had a 9600xt, and I was going to get a 9800pro to replace it. But then I started reading how a 6600GT walks all over a 9800pro, and is the same price. I picked up a sweet deal at compUSA, $199.99 for the PNY Verto 6600GT AGP.

This card rocks. I have everything cranked in source and get 50-125 FPS, ah I love it. :)

I made the switch from a 9800pro to a 6800gt and am really happy. My video card chronology has gone something like this:
Nvidia GF2 - Nvidia GF3 ti300 - Nvidia Ti4200 - Ati 9500 - Ati 9800 pro - Nvidia 6800gt.

ashenfang said:
I made the switch back from ATI to nvidia :clap: I had a 9600xt, and I was going to get a 9800pro to replace it. But then I started reading how a 6600GT walks all over a 9800pro, and is the same price. I picked up a sweet deal at compUSA, $199.99 for the PNY Verto 6600GT AGP.

This card rocks. I have everything cranked in source and get 50-125 FPS, ah I love it. :)
Yep. Did something similar. The 9800PRO hopfully will be the only ATi card I own... I didnt realize how much I missed nVidia until I fired up my 6800GT

I'm considering buying this card for a tax time upgrade project I have going...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-425&depa=0

Is there a similarly priced Nvidia card that will come close or surpass the performance of this card? I made the switch from Nvidia to ATI some time ago and have been happy, doesn't really matter to me though as far as manufacturer, I'm just looking for the best performance for the money spent, any suggestions?

Last edited:
I made the switch also, from 9800 pro 6600gt , im very pleased, but next month im switching to the X800xl. My vid cards are like this:
Geforce 2 , Geforce 4mx440, Radeon 9600, Radeon 9800 pro, Geforce 6600gt, X800XL very soon. But i predict nobody will be buying 6600gt's in about a month, becuase the X800NP is coming out for $200, and it is gonna stomp the 6600gt, but it is only pci-express

Mmmmmmmm, i would love to have an X800pro. Yummy. Sorry i've allways been a bit of an ATI fan though. I do absolutely love my 6800NU in GT clothing though (16X1, 6VP), I just hate the driver support, and that i feel like i need a different driver release for every game i play. ATI is doing an awesome job with the catalyst drivers. Makes me miss my 9800pro.

J.

juliendogg said:
Mmmmmmmm, i would love to have an X800pro. Yummy. Sorry i've allways been a bit of an ATI fan though. I do absolutely love my 6800NU in GT clothing though (16X1, 6VP), I just hate the driver support, and that i feel like i need a different driver release for every game i play. ATI is doing an awesome job with the catalyst drivers. Makes me miss my 9800pro.

J.

Hmm, really? i find nVidia to be superior expecially in the fact they provide very good driver support and patches... I have had the opposite with ATi, and i just find nVidia more appealing since it bought up my beloved 3dfx lolz, ne ways thats my 2 cents and I have seen many similar answers saying nVidias drivers are superior. But im gonna stick with my guns here, and nVidia is the way to go.

Nvidia had better driver support in years past. I will not argue that comment. But since the release of the catalyst driver network ATI's driver development is probably the best out there. They are releasing new driver versions on nearly a weekly basis. How often do we see new drivers for our NV cards? How often do those driver releases that we do get from Nvidia fix the problems that bother us the most ? I find myself switching drivers every time i want to play a different game. I find this very irritating. I am not biased towards ATI or Nvidia either way, but i feel like the driver packs i was using for my 9800pro were so much better than Nvidia's. The control panels are nicer, driver installations go smoother and with much less hassle. Both are making a good product, and i'm definately NOT trying to start an ATI vs. Nvidia war here. If i could have gotten an x800 for near the price i got my 6800NU for that's the way i would have went.

I just headed the other way... My 5950 U died and I need the ViVo. None of the 6000's have Vivo yet and may not have any of this gen that will.
I try a refurbed 5950U but it was DOA. I couldn't justify buying last gen technology for the same price as I can get top-of the line with the ViVo I need from ATI...
I should have a Sapphire X800XT PE tomorrow.

Back