• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

802.11g WiFi dropping mucho

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BrainLifter

Registered
ok

I have a Netgear Router 802.11g and a Linksys PCI 802.11g card. On WinXP and a DSL connect.

The card keeps dropping I would say every 10-15 min. I have tried disabling the "Config Zero" config option, but the linksys disk just will not install on my system, and for that matter, nither will the drivers off the web. Therefore, I do not have, other then XP, any way to drive my WiFi NIC.

Nothing is wrong with router (thought it might have been overheating), there is no TTL for the WiFi, and when WiFi drops, wired still is active. My neighbors nor I have a 2.4GHz phone (Both 900MHz). There is only one other WiFi network available in my area, and it's on a diffrent channel. I am currently on 3, but 6 or 11 do the same thing. When I am connected, I get "Very Good" or "Excellent" only. I am using WEP 128bit, and have connected before fine with my passkey, I have even tried doing this without a passkey.

I also have another problem I had a heck of a time installing the drivers, now in Network Connections it says "Wireless Connection #4". I am a tech for Best Buy and I do know what I'm doing, I also know alot about networking and WiFi. This problem is baffling though.

You might try letting Windows setup the connection, then once it is connected, disable the Zero configuration. You will have to enable it again and then disable it everytime you reboot, but it works (at least for me).
If you had to install / uninstall the drivers a few times to get it to work properly, then that is why it is Wireless Connection #4. Everytime you reinstall the drivers, it creates a new connection. Can you right click on the connection in Network Connections and then rename it to something else?

Windows will create a new Connection #(number) every time you reinstall the WiFi - I take it you have installed them on four different occasions ?

You fail to state is your Windows has SP2 installed as this fixes a few wireless issues.
There is also a known problem with the way Windows handles 128bit WEP which you say you use

This article on the front of Overclockers.com may be of use to you

Report back with the outcome

Back