• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd memtest errors = memory controller or RAM? (56k beware)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nweibley

Registered
Please help me identify the source of these errors...

Here I pushed the RAM (Crucial Ballistix PC3200) well past its limits to generate some valid errors so I would know what to expect:
memtest009.jpg

memtest010.jpg

Note the errors were pretty random... at least changing somewhat.

Then, I loosened the timings up and used a variety of voltages to try and get an overclock that they had no problem getting over at www.anandtech.com running 2.5-3-3-10 @ 1T 250MHz FSB 4x HTT multi...

Here is what followed.
memtest001.jpg

memtest002.jpg

memtest003.jpg

memtest004.jpg

memtest005.jpg

memtest006.jpg

Every single error, every time, was off by 00000008... the bit marked here 0000 *000 ... it was stuck at zero.

I cannot for the life of me figure this out. Moving DIMMs changes the amount of errors, but not the value. Using a divider helps somewhat, but not much... trying to run the ram past 230MHz basically results in timings so loose that performance is actually lost... however this ram used to work beautifully as far as I know.

Any ideas on what the hell is going on? I have a suspicion the memory controller on my 3500+ week 41 winnie is bad..
-----Nate :bang head

Ok, this is on a November Neo2 w/ 1.4 BIOS, Vdimm was 2.8-2.85 ... PSU is PCP&C Turbocool Express (no problem there)... Video is X800 XT PE, 2x36.7g Raptors on SATA 3/4 ... what else, what else...

I am confused because this RAM performs well on most all benchmark sites I see, easily hitting at least DDR500 at these timings...

I get more and more suspicious of this winchester every day...

Back