• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP Palomino's on eBay

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

douglasb

The Palomino's seem to be going at about twice the price of Thoroughbreds of the same speed on eBay. Why is this? Is there something about the Palomino core that I don't know about?

I know most (if not all) of the Palomino's are unlocked, but I thought they still sucked. Makes no sense to me.

Alot of older motherboards requre the old CPUs to function. Its all a matter of rarity. Since its a rare chip they are easily sold.

All palominos require the L1 bridges to be closed to allow full multi access. The architecture and overclocking ability is also inferior to the Tbred. As Sen says its merely a matter of supply/demand dynamics.

I used to have a 2100+ pally; worse chip ever. The multiplier was locked, and it ran very hot at stock speeds. It's a very hard chip to overclock.

On the same note, I saw a 2100+ pal sell for $81 before shipping on eBay! It's amazing!

Higher voltage, bigger core, larger process, earlier revision, more transistors, locked.... What's NOT to like about the Palomino? ;)

The only special thing about a Pally is that I'm still using one (and that my mobo dosen't support t-breds :cry: ). Yea for incompatibilites.
JigPu

Heh my wife's got one in her rig, but she'd never know the difference anyways :p

I've got a morgan core duron too, they both run hot as hell, about 45C (wife's) and 53C (duron) with my best efforts at cooling them.

it's funny what people will pay on egay...but then again, i've bought a few things on there, too...my hypocrisy is unbelievable..

heh, i sold an xp2100+ palomino on ebay for $64. i set the bidding to start at $20, and it just went that high. i didnt lie or anything, i even mentioned it was a HORRIBLE overclocker. barely went over stock.

Aphex_Tom_9 said:
heh, i sold an xp2100+ palomino on ebay for $64. i set the bidding to start at $20, and it just went that high. i didnt lie or anything, i even mentioned it was a HORRIBLE overclocker. barely went over stock.

If you think that's something, take a look at this. "Great overclocking headroom," he says. What a lying sack of poop. And notice that the CPU has a nice "warranty void if removed" sticker above the top 4 bridges.

Dang, mabey I should speed up my upgrade schedule and sell this relic a little sooner than I thought ;)

JigPu

Back