• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what you guys think??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ETUKE

would you consider overclocking hardware the same as pirating software?You get something your not paying for with overclocking right,like turning a 3200 into a 3500.big difference in price and not many will buy the 3500 if they can do this.Just a thought,what do you think and if this is considered the wrong type of post for this forum by all means delete it.

I wouldn't consider overclocking the same as pirating software.

If you overclocked it, broke it, and returned it for a new one then yes, I'd consider it the same thing.

Buy a car, slap a new carb, turbo, exhaust, get another 30HP, no laws broken, you just tweaked what you were sold.

Pirated software is not tweaked, it's stolen.

Difference?

Tweaking ==> Nothing stolen, lots gained
Pirated software ==> Lots gained through theft.

Very simple difference. :D

ETUKE said:
would you consider overclocking hardware the same as pirating software?You get something your not paying for with overclocking right,like turning a 3200 into a 3500.big difference in price and not many will buy the 3500 if they can do this.Just a thought,what do you think and if this is considered the wrong type of post for this forum by all means delete it.
Absolutly not. You have bought the rights to owning that CPU so no. It would be like adding a turbo-charger to your car or modifying it. Sure the warrenty is gone, but its by no means illegal.

However I will say that OCing is frowned upon like pirates for 2 reasons.

#1 Most people who claim to be pirates / overclokers are posers and give us a bad name

#2 If you dont know what you are doing <most people dont> you can get into alot of trouble by either being thrown in jail, or a dead PC.

The only time when overclocking is BAD is when someone overclocks a computer and sells it for the price of higher speed parts and does not say "this is overclocked".

Software piracy involves gaining use of a piece of software which you have not paid for, and using it for whatever you want.

However, if i buy said software I can use this software for whatever the program allows me to do and whatever I want as long as I dont break the law etc etc.

With overclocking, I buy a CPU. And I am just making use of this CPU as far as what it and my wants and needs allow me to.

If I STOLE a CPU then yea, same thing. But I didnt so it isnt.

I don't think you will find many who would say overclocking is illegal except maybe at Intel. Overclocking is like breast implants. Bigger than original specs, not illegal but sexier and hotter. There are some risks, but if you do it right you get big performance increases.
(I got tired of the auto engine analogy since I use it all the time as well, hope this wasn't too "racy")

fabulouscoops said:
I don't think you will find many who would say overclocking is illegal except maybe at Intel. Overclocking is like breast implants. Bigger than original specs, not illegal but sexier and hotter. There are some risks, but if you do it right you get big performance increases.
(I got tired of the auto engine analogy since I use it all the time as well, hope this wasn't too "racy")
HAHAHAHA

funniest thing I read in like 50 minutes :cool:

Not even debatable. I paid for my hardware, I can do what I want with it. If I decide to rip apart a Mercedes SLK and use the motor for a garbage disposal, then that's my right because I've paid for it. Pirating is an issue because it's essentially stealing.

fabulouscoops said:
LOL good 1

fabulouscoops said:

Mind if this goes in my sig? :D

fabulous fabulouscoops!

:p
Oh and yeah I agree with everyone here, not even close to the same thing...if I buy something I can do what I want with it....I can buy a cpu and smash it...I can buy software and burn it...neither is illegal...but it would be a crime to do! :p

fabulouscoops said:

good comparison :p .

Back