• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My most hated video card . . .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mana Dragon

The Radeon 9500 Pro has been working with me for some time now, but a year ago, the card would act funny. Lines and dots will appear on my screen, and then, the computer would freeze, and automatically reboot. Before any of that happened, I had downloaded the LATEST drivers from ATI for the Radeon 9000 Family.

For the record, I've just reformated my computer yesterday so I could put an end to this nightmare once and for all. Now that I'm starting on a new slate, I install my video card, but the problem still occurs. I haven't even installed the drivers yet, and when I did, the problem STILL occurs. So, I system Restore before I installed my video card, After the reformat.

Does anyone have a clue what the crap is goin' on? Any suggestions is highly apreciative. Please don't suggest buying another card :( Money Money Money

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!
..and please fold for team32.

As for the issues with verticle "lines" or "color distortion" is a term known as "artifracting"

Most likely what is going on is your video card is overheating. There are a number of ways to remedy it. What you need to do is either replace the videocard cooler or upgrade it.

There is a 3rd option that is perfectally legit if you havent overclocked your card. Since you havent done anything to the card it is still under warrenty. At this point I personally would RMA the card. You have every right to do so.

The fan is as spinny as a . . . wheel. I'd think it would be because of the drivers, because that's where it all started really. What if I used older drvers? Anyone have a link to older versions?

Ati has older drivers listed on their site, but before you go and use old ones, go to www.omegacorner.com and use those. Tell us if it still crashes. My guess is that your card was broken, or something gave out on it and it hasnt worked right since because they don't fix themselves :-/. It could also be a power supply issue, or even a ram issue. The best 2 solutions I can think of are to find out EXACTLY what circumstances cause these problems, and tell us, or swap out parts from another pc until you fix the crashing....in which case you know what needs to be replaced.

If you try different drivers and that doesnt work you might want to consider an RMA. Could you post a screenshot so we can see what exactly is going on?

Here's an update =)

I just got an error called an Infinite Loop. I couldn't really take a screenshot cuz it was in the process of rebooting. Is this a clue for anyone? Can anyone tell me what this "Loop" means?

No I haven't. I wasn't sure if it would make it worse =o Remember: I am a newbie :bang head

I will try right now though :)

Back