• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What can I get out of this old POS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swifter

Registered
If there is not much outcome to this CPU, then....

Anyone know what is the max cpu upgrade for this mobo?

If I do switch out the mobo (cheapo), is there an appropriate cheapo CPU for it?

The reason for all of this is to get some practice for my new build. I plan on keeping this one for mp3, dvd, aiw, etc...and whatever games it can still handle.

Thanks,

Swift

That beast a Slot A or Socket A? If it's the former you should be able to throw in a Athlon 1.0 if you can find one, the latter a 1.4ghz TBred (200 fsb).

Honestly I wouldn't bother though. Get a $45 mobo and a $50 AXP 2200 and a $40 stick of ram. I would try ebay for the cpu if you still want to upgrade.

Any changes you make are also gonna require a new power supply. The one supplied will not help ya with new build. If you are going cheapie you still want reliable and future proof so don't cheap out on the PS. Aim for at least 400W and a reputable brand such as Enermax.

It sounds like you are on a very tight budget and waiting for your next build. By upgrading just the chip maybe better than upgrading the mobo. Upgrading the mobo is not worth the money because you'll need new RAM.

You should be able to put Duron, t-bird or XP (socket A) on there but may be limited on your FSB to 133 (266) and 1 GHz (or maybe 1.33 at very best). If you a choosing a new chip, go with XP mobile chip. The multi are unlocked and incase you want to upgrade later, you can use this CPU to overclock to better performance with a better mobo, good cooling, and decent ram.

There is a mobile AthlonXP 1400+ and 1500+ for aprox $60 online and should be easy to find. If you need help, let me know.

If this is your first CPU upgrade (or swap), the most important thing is to make sure to use thermal paste on the CPU and install the CPU cooling (heatsink/fan) before turning the computer on. Otherwise you'll just fry the chip before you can use it.

If you are building a completely new setup, go with the A64 or P4.

If you are on Slot A, the socket A wont work. Now thinking about it, I think you have a slot A because I don't think AMD makes 700 MHz AMD Athlon in socket A.

It is slot A

you should be able to throw in a Athlon 1.0 if you can find one

Did a quick search and none to be found. You would think something outdated would be available for little money.

It sounds like you are on a very tight budget and waiting for your next build.

Anything I can save and put into the new system is important. But I think I would be willing to upgrade the CPU, PSU, fans and ram.

After that OC or mod everything that can be.

Swift

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing out the bay.

It looks like the 1ghz are pulling about $100. Does anyone know what serial numbers to look for with this CPU or where to find an archive to them.

One more thing, someone sold a "goldfinger" hardware piece for OC.

What does it do? Can the 1GHZ be VM'ed? Anyone know or remember how high this CPU could reach?

Thanks,

Swift

C'mon, $100 for a 1Ghz CPU - don't do it! Don't put any money in this thing, just use it until you can build something really good. Save your money and read everything you can in these forums. Later you'll be glad you waited!

1ghz should run about $20, any more and you would be getting ripped off.

Someone said above to get a mobile chip, an XP or a duron for your board. I doubt it would support them, my grandma had a KT133 with a 900mhz cpu, and it would not support even an old palomino core xp, much less a modern chip. Just save what cash you have and get the new system that much sooner, or make it that much faster.

OK, it looks like the maximum for the mobo is the 1000 MHz AMD Athlon (K75).

I think I will try to locate the goldfinger device for my 700 and then grab a 1000 whenever a cheap one pops up.

My question is once I pop the protective cover off and add the goldfinger, How do I install a heatsink with dual or triple fans to it without the protective cover? Will it go back on? Will a thermal paste be able to hold such a large heatsink on without something to snap too as well?

Also, I have seen slot fans that fit into pci slots, Would these make a difference and keep me from modding my case for more case fans?

Finally, will the goldfinger device work on the 1000...Can the 1000 reach higher speeds?

Swift

If I were you, I would not buy any of that. The 700mhz probably won't break 1000mhz, though I have never seen one overclocked, and the 1ghz cpu is still too slow to play any modern games, it does not offer any more functionality to your system.

If you are willing to spend the cash on a $100 CPU and a goldfinger you might as well save some of that hard earned cash and get a newer mobo and CPU combo for nearly the same including the ram.... Maybe a few senior members might be interested in releasing an older setup gathering dust to further your cause. Avoid spending more than $20 on that old setup. It really isn't worth it.

Hmmm I would say if it's a thunderbird Athlon then it might go to 1Ghz, there were some thunderbird cores on the later slot As. Edit: Doh, if it's 512K it's not a thunderbird of course.

However, that would involve fighting the RAM too if you want an FSB overclock since it's PC100. Though most can push to 124Mhz when it's proper 8ns PC100 spec RAM.

However, it kinda sounds like your video is onboard too, with you saying about shared memory architecture :(

However, if your case is a standard ATX, I've come up with a sub $150 upgrade suggestion that might fit the bill, it could be up to 3x as fast as your current rig, but it's not the best stuff, for squeezing it into a low price like that...

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=MK40VN-N&cat=MBB
Shuttle miniATX mobo with onboard graphics. (plus an AGP slot for later) $33.95

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DHD1800DLV1C-N&cat=CPU
1.8Ghz duron, give it a little more voltage and it will run at 166 for 2.2Ghz .... $45.50

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CP5-8J71F-N&cat=CPU
Aero7 lite cooler, not top end, but will do the job .................. $14.00

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AP450W&cat=CAS
Cheapass 450W PSU, should be better than current one and be "good enough" $14.00

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=256DDR3200-N&cat=RAM
256Mb of PC3200 DDR, not much but upgradeable later... ... .... .............. .... $39.00

That all comes to a total of $146.45 and is the kind of thing I might build for my sister in law or someone, not an awesome overclocking rig, but should be capable of some fairly recent games, and wouldn't choke on the newest by the time you get a graphics upgrade and another stick of RAM in it. The unichrome graphics are "meh" but not any worse than the radeon 7500 I think, and get you going until you can afford a decent card. A point to not however, is that since it's mini ATX it doesn't have many PCI slots, you can only practically use 1, but if you're satisfied with the onboard sound and LAN, then there's not a lot else you'll use it for anyway.

Anyhoo, IMHO it would be a better $150 worth than the $150 you could spend upgrading the CPU and RAM on that motherboard, for only maybe 25% more speed.

regards,

Road Warrior

edit: of course if your AIW isn't onboard, you can try that in it to see if it works out better than the unichrome onboard.

Last edited:
Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I am locked into a goldfinger device at this point - ebay and on its way.

So I'll go for the psu you recommend, if its a match.

I am planning on going 939 soon and will build from the ground up, this project is for fun, b/c I just can't see throwing away a system that is still good for some/most apps.

Now all I need is another fan and new cpu heatsink/fan and off to the races.

I'll update you guys with any successful clocks.

Thanks

Back