• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it me, or do Nvidia Drivers suck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr

Man, I cant stand Nvidia drivers anymore. Im even trying the betas / offical approved and there still unstable. I get horrible polygon gfxal errors every week, this results re-installing drivers every week! I use nasty file remover, all the tools from Guru3d.com. Ive even reformated everything to get a fresh start. Im tempted to sell off or send back my 6800 and get a X800 Pro .... :/ ... I dont even oc and I get these errors. Im sure that my card isn't defective... I havn't tried omegas yet, are they at least stable? 1 or 2 fps difference isn't a problem, I JUST WANT STABILITY!

I've never really had any problems with nvidia drivers, its always been ati(up until recently) who have had the unstable/poorly performing drivers.

Its either a system level conflict(checking driver and bios settings and such?), or your card is defective.

I've never had any problems with nvidia drivers that I can remeber. Have always been stable for me. Havent tested newer than 66.93. Are you 100% sure it's not your card. Have it been like this from the start or is it just now?

never had problems with my drivers, ATI or NV, going from ati to nv or vise versa, never had problems

Im pretty sure my card is fine, still does 430 / 1.15 on stock HSF. It still performs well, and it only happens once a week (If I had a defective card, then this problem would happen everyday) But unfortunately, its the drivers. Are there any other drivers that are STABLE besides forceware?

If it were the drivers it would happen much more than once a week.....you might have a ram chip going bad and it's shorting in and out....

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Im pretty sure my card is fine, still does 430 / 1.15 on stock HSF. It still performs well, and it only happens once a week (If I had a defective card, then this problem would happen everyday) But unfortunately, its the drivers. Are there any other drivers that are STABLE besides forceware?

That whole paragraph makes zero sense. Your sig says eVGA 6800 GT, is this the card your complaining about ? If your running a GT at 430/1.15 on the stock heatsink look no further for why you have poly errors. Im suprised the card hasnt turned into a pile of burnt plastic..... :rolleyes:

Is your card volt/BIOS modded in anyway. If it is then that might be your problem. Try reflashing to another BIOS or revert to your original BIOS.

If you don't have it modded, it might be the speed you have it clocked at. I have mine watercooled and could only reach 420 on the core, but was not completely stable. Try running at lower speed for a week or two to see if you still have problems. If you don't then its your clock. You might have to run at a lower speed, or if you want to try it out, increase the voltage on your core.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:

Maybe it is something else on your system? try updating all driverfs - mobo drivers, BIOS updates - take out hardware you dont really ned to try and locate the exact problem - switch cards with a friend even.

I only had one driver that gave me problems with one game.The 4403's with Madden 2003 and 2004.When I would save the game in franchise mode it would hang or restart the pc.
Other than that? All good .

Other than a short issue with Star Wars Galaxies and the newest Forceware drivers (at the time,) I really haven't had any issues with Nvidia drivers.
Do you get errors all the time, or just during games when the card is stressed? Either way, I'd step back a bit on on your card settings, put them back to stock and see if that helps. If not, try bringing everything in your rig back to stock and see if it still happens.
Couldn't hurt to try the card in several different computers too to see if there's a difference.
Good luck :beer:

Dragonprince said:
That whole paragraph makes zero sense. Your sig says eVGA 6800 GT, is this the card your complaining about ? If your running a GT at 430/1.15 on the stock heatsink look no further for why you have poly errors. Im suprised the card hasnt turned into a pile of burnt plastic..... :rolleyes:

The cards temps are fine. Im not complaining about the card. Since people are saying "Is your card defective" I said that it still did 430 / 1.15 on stock Hsf". If my card WERE defective, it would actually give my polygon gfxal errors all the time. Even at stock, my drivers are being asses. I dont get gfxal errors in 3dmark let alone in games. My card idles at 48C (Which is consiterably low for a stock HSF). Are there any drivers out there that are stable?

Btw, my card only does this in games. It only does it when 3D gfx is exposed to the card. It only loads at 62C.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
The cards temps are fine. Im not complaining about the card. Since people are saying "Is your card defective" I said that it still did 430 / 1.15 on stock Hsf". If my card WERE defective, it would actually give my polygon gfxal errors all the time. Even at stock, my drivers are being asses. I dont get gfxal errors in 3dmark let alone in games. My card idles at 48C (Which is consiterably low for a stock HSF). Are there any drivers out there that are stable?

Btw, my card only does this in games. It only does it when 3D gfx is exposed to the card. It only loads at 62C.

But dude, Your card doesn't have to be hot to be unstable. Temps of 62 C can be too hot to run those mhz.

A once a week kind of unstabilty is just another way of spelling t-e-m-p-e-r-a-t-u-r-e. I really do think your unstability is directly related to the jet stream or your house's heater thermostat...not to be sarcastic.

That could be it, but it dosn't crash while im getting polygon errors. Usually, if your card runs too hot, it will thermal throttle, which it dosn't. It comes out of games at 430 / 1.15 (I dont run these normally, I run 400 / 1.1 all the time) Im trying out the 66.93 and they seem ok, but ill have to test them for awhile and see if they are stable.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
That could be it, but it dosn't crash while im getting polygon errors. Usually, if your card runs too hot, it will thermal throttle, which it dosn't. It comes out of games at 430 / 1.15 (I dont run these normally, I run 400 / 1.1 all the time) Im trying out the 66.93 and they seem ok, but ill have to test them for awhile and see if they are stable.

Man I had alot of trouble with that driver, but I have a different card too. I really like the 71.25 driver you might try that one too. So, what drivers were you using?

I used 2 betas, and 2 Approved.
Betas: 71:20 / 71:25
Approved: 61.77 / 66.93
I hear that the 61.77 are supposed to be really stable drivers. But, these 66.93 havn't given me any problems yet. My gaming performance is a bit better, and so far im satisfyed. I will report back and screenshot what my other drivers have been doing to me.

Driver issue aside I still say its OC related. I have played a lot of current games of different types on my eVGA 6800GT with no issues. I think your asking way too much from a GT. Ultra clocks are only 400 on that core, your past what most can get even overclocking the Ultra with it's huge heatsink, and your on a crappy GT heatsink.
I dont buy the argument that it cant be the OC because it only happens in games. Most OC's only become unstable when a rig is asked to do something. I can idle all day at rediculous clocks on my GPU and CPU but as soon as I load a game it will crap out. Poly errors are a classic symptom of OCing gone wrong, I suggest you declock before you melt down and have no card. It will die, trust me, I've killed enough cards to know.

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:

it won't thermal throttle under the preset throttling temp.. which i think is 127c on 6800's, so you're not even halfway there. it can't protect it magically from crashing that way.

just try running 375 and low memory for a week or two, and follow your psu.

if it were the drivers or interrupts or whatever.. you'd get it daily, not once in a week.

random poly errors don't usually happen from anything else than too much overclock/temp.

Back