• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Started folding with my dually

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dc5e

Okay, I decided to start folding with my dualie because most of the time, it just sits here idling. And when I just remember a friend's mother died from cancer, I wanted to put these cycles to use.

So I hear that i have to run the folding client with the "-local" flag. Can someone tell me what exactly this does? I'm running two clients right now in separate folders with different machine id's, do I still have to use the -local flag?

And i have dual hyperthreaded xeons. Would it be more efficient to run 4 clients than just two? Windows shows 4 logical processors because of HT.

edit: oh yeah, how much ram usage does each client take? I just checked task manager and it shows 68mb. And is there any particular version i should use? i'm using the Console version but should i use the latest console version (Version 5?) or another one.

Get Wedo's oneclick for quad processors, it will be easiest.

But if you do it your way, I believe you need to have the -local flag set for both clients. Memory usage will vary, if you enable bigpackets on 4 clients, it will be ~400MB. 4 clients without would be around 100MB total.

Welcome to the fold!!!

With your machine you are much better off installing the clients as a service. In the stickies above is the version you want to install. its a one-click for quads, which for all intents and purposes is what you have.

yes running 4 clients is what you want to do. you'll end up in WU heaven that way.

The ammount of memory you will use is directly proportional to the protein you download. There are big 600 pointers that you'll probably want to focus on especially if you have 1GB of Mem. Once again check out the stickie there are good instructions for you there.

Keep asking questions if ya got em -- I did and still do -- these guys are great at answering them .

T

is there any advantage to installing them as a service vs. running the console version besides the fact i'll have 4 windows?

edit: i might just install them as a service because the 4 windows may get annoying. If i do, is there anyways to see their progress in their WU that they're working on?

edit again: well i decided to install the 1click instsall for the dual ht system.

Last edited:
Welcome to the team :)

What I would recommend doing is downloading EMIII: LINK

and running that to monitor your stats and progress. It should have instructions on what to do, but if not just ask me and I should be able to help.

It'll let you monitor multiple clients without having to have all those windows open..... and I would highly recommend downloading Wedo's Quad One Click : LINK

It will automatically make the 4 FAH folders and set all the flags you need automatically..... if you feel that you have enough memory, you can open up the client.cfg file in notepad (after you unzip it) and change this entry
Code:
bigpackets=no
to this
Code:
bigpackets=yes
that will allow you to use bigpackets, which take more memory (with 4 BP's running ~ 400MB of memory will be used) but give you about a 50% increase in production.

Here's what EMIII looks like on my computer

Attachments

• untitled1.JPG
    untitled1.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 74
okay, nice.

Gonna try out EMIII now, I just installed the wedo's one click install. I set half of them to bigpackets=yes so i can save some of my ram i guess, but i may change it later.

If i want to change it how would i do so? would i go into program files/fah/(fah folders) then change the bigpackets to yes for each one?

Last edited:
I'm folding under Dc5e and Team 32.

edit: one last thing, is it normal that after installing the one click, it only shows 3 FAH502-Console.exe processes and 4 srvany.exe? It looks like the services startup through srvany, but only 3 fahconsoles show... so somehow and am i missing one? My fah2 folder in program files looks like it hasn't downloaded anything.

You might try waiting for a few minutes and see if it does anything...... if not there are two things that I can think of doing.

1) Jump start it by opening the FAHConsole in that folder for about 1 minute and let it download everything and then close it.

2) If that doesn't work.....delete the 4 FAH folders......download the Dually One click, install it once and rename the folders FAH 3 and 4 and then install it again to get all 4 instances...... a while back I had an issue where the Quad wouldn't work for me either but you might try those and see if that works.

BTW, you're not showing up on the stats yet...... but you won't show up until about 1-3 hours after you finish your first WU.

I suspect that there is a problem with the one-click. Please go into C:/program files/FAH/FAH2 and read the FAHlog.txt If you find some kind of error message near the bottom after it tries starting up, let me know and I'll tell you how you can fix it.

hmm... whenever i try to change the config files, it keeps defaulting to Machine 1 which is causing them not to run because there already is a Machine 1 running.

The only way i can get them to work is if I configure the config file manually through running folding as a console first, then starting them as a service after. But then i'm not sure what their settings would be for bigpackets and stuff.

anyways, I got it working and I got EMIII going, but is there anyways to see all 4 boxes at once instead of just two in EMIII?

Back