• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

August and 700 bucks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lincolnompa

I'm gonna have a summer job over umm... the summer and I want to save the money I'm making up for a computer (2000 bucks). I don't want to spend all of that on my computer, I wanna spend like 700 dollars on the stuff going into the case. What do you guys project 700-800 dollars would get me in August?

man wait until you have the money. Things change monthly if not weekly so picking pieces for a pc 7 months is very hard. Just make sure it is amd ;-)

Do some research now so you will be ready to have that sweet rig.

800 dollars will not build you that nice of a rig, but for sure it will be AMD based, unless intel and AMD going into a price war before then.

I agree that it's way too early to decide anything. Lots of changes in the next few months. Why not Intel? You can build a good Intel system for the same price as an AMD. Besides, Intel will be releasing 2 new mobo chipsets and dual core processors by summer. Multitasking and video encoding which is already dominated by Intel will get even better.

batboy said:
I agree that it's way too early to decide anything. Lots of changes in the next few months. Why not Intel? You can build a good Intel system for the same price as an AMD. Besides, Intel will be releasing 2 new mobo chipsets and dual core processors by summer. Multitasking and video encoding which is already dominated by Intel will get even better.

Though I am an intel man, I think AMD for an 800 dollar rig will be the way to go, AMD has cheaper Motherboards, Cheaper Ram because they don't use DDR2 and processors are about 10% cheaper, admittingly the price saving on all 3 of those probably only leads to 100 bucks on a mid-midhigh range system, but when you are talking under 1000, 100 is quite a chunk

batboy said:
Again, by summer things might be different.
Just remember that last summer the best thing available was a 9800XT and a Pentium4. Hell i dont even think Prescott was out last August.

Alot changes in that long of a time span. I tell people this all the time and Ill say it here as well. Dont look at anything unless you have the creditcard in hand are are going to buy that VERY second

heck wait and see if Dothan gets a better fsb and chipset and buy that other than that choice i see no real upgrade if you already have a pentium 4 northwood or presscott and if you go amd the only upgrade i would do would be an athlon 64 and only that for the gaming prowess. But like all the others said above wait until you have the money and then come back here asking what the best upgrade will be.

$700 can buy you a pretty good gaming rig. A couple of years ago, I built the system in my sig (minus the 120GB hard drive, and was a GF4200Ti at the time) for under $500. Nowadays I'm sure you can get a faster CPU, at least a FX5900 flavor card, and be quite happy with it.

As said before, wait and see.

There will be new processors, new cards, and more choices. You can't plan that far in advance, maybe a week or two if lucky to get something current with prices.

As for a system, I had a secondary rig I built in March, its a AMD 2600+ with an Abit NF2 mobo, 9600xt. That was under $350 at the time. It was an upgrade from PIII but I had the other stuff that didn't cost much at all which was case, DVD drive, and 1gig ram. That was easly under $700 total if you bought it all seperatly.

Now if you are thinking of a monitor also in that budget, well it will be even harder to put togeather.

Back