• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What else can I do, I want more umph on my A8V

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rdrash

Senior Member, Benching Team Member
Ok,

I am looking for some advice to get a little bit more from my FX-53 A8V setup. I would like to increase my processor to 2.7 but I dont want to kill it with too much vcore. I am using the 1010.03 beta bios. I am stable at 2.6 ghz with 1.525 volts set in the Bios for vcore. My FSB is 217, HTT is 1000, and multiplier is 12. My ram timings are 2-3-3-6. I am attaching some screen shots. Let me know what you folks think.....Should I go for a multiplier of 13 or increase my FSB and loosen the timings on my ram?

Attachments

• Screen1.jpg
    Screen1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen02.JPG
    Screen02.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen03.JPG
    Screen03.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Screen04.JPG
    Screen04.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Screen05.JPG
    Screen05.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 71
You really cant *kill* and AMD CPU with voltage. The way that they are designed makes em run like a tank. Anything short of 1.9v is perfectally fine so long as your cooling is ok.

Do you know how high your ram can run at 1T? If you have some leeway there I'd go for a higher HT frequency. You can probably get away with 2.5-3-3-x@1T.

Here are some more screen shots.

Wow quick replies..ok let me digest your feed abck and I will comment back in a few minutes.

Attachments

• Screen06.JPG
    Screen06.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen07.JPG
    Screen07.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 60
  • Screen08.JPG
    Screen08.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen09.jpg
    Screen09.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 65
Ok...Are you sure I cant kill the cpu with too much vcore? Anyways, I am now looking at two replies ...one tending toward an increase in voltage (which I assume means I should go for a multiplier increase with vcore adjustment) the second reply is focusing on memory (assuming this means I should relax my timings and increase the FSB beyond my 217mhz). Well taht is exactly where I am at, I can't decide which one is going to be better for me and i have great fear of increasing my vcore much more...I might feel safe at 1.55 but probably not much beyond there. ...

rdrash said:
Ok...Are you sure I cant kill the cpu with too much vcore?
100% positive. This isnt Intel ;)...people on winchesters are using 1.6-1.7v on high end cooling. You should have no problems using 1.65v on your FX

Make no mistake I agree with sen as well. More vcore will harm nothing IMO. Regardless of whether you change the multi or not you may require more vcore as you're still changing processor frequencies.

hmmmmm.....I am still not sure about your comments concerning the vcore. I hear you saying that the vcore can not harm the cpu as long as sufficient cooling is applied. Ok, I can see that to a point but there must be some point where the volatge will do damage. Anyways, my cooling isn't that spectacular. I may look into getting a better HSF before taking my vcore above 1.55. unless someone with same setup as I have comes forward and shows me that they are safely pushing the vcore to beyond 1.55 and not having any problems.

I've had my Winchester on 1.6V for quite some time, and even had it at 1.7V (which lead to bluescreens rather rapidly - as the temp went up too high on my 900rpm fan). If I remember correctly, 130nm parts like your FX-53 could take even more - even though the heat will more of an issue as the 130nm's run hotter.

All right. I will take a look at getting a better cooler for my cpu and then I will increase the volts to the vcore. For the mean time, I will try adjusting the FSB and see if I need to loosen my ram timings. Thanks folks.

Try going to 2.5-3-3-8 or 2.5-3-3-10 or even 3-3-3-10. The difference between Cas 2.5 & 3 on the A64 seems to be next to nothing. Then go few Mhz higher on the HT frequency. You may have to give your sticks a little bit more voltage assuming you're at default. Just make sure your HT multi is at 4x not 5x. GL.

Back