• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP Incorrectly reads memory + cpu speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krack3d

Registered
My friend just bought a computer that is supposed to be 2.4 gigs // 512 RAM and windows is reading it as 1.8 // 384. It reads correctly in the bios, however. Is there actually anything wrong with it? :cry:

Last edited:
id recommend reloading it and double checking that there's a 2.4cpu and half a gig of ram

The CPU speed probably is most likely related to an incorrect FSB speed.

As for the RAM... is it all on one stick?

Are you running onboard video? If that is the case, those can take quite a bit of RAM showing you less than what you think you might have. Also, make sure that the Mhz of the RAM can be used by the motherboard, I once had a 128MB PC133 only show up as 64 because my mobo could only support PC100 (lord that was a long time ago).

Ill check it out, thanks for the suggestions guys. It definately has the correct amount of RAM and CPU though because it reads correctly in the BIOs. It does have onboard video, so that could be part of the problem. Thanks again for the help, Ill post a response after I give it another go.

also beware that if is an off brand oem then he might have gotten jipped as my cousin bought a medion from best buy and the guy told him it was a 2.8 with ht and come to find out that it is a 2.66 no ht and a 533fsb so he got jipped as they charged him extra for the supposed upgrade...

Alright we figured out the RAM was being cut by the onboard video, but it still doesnt explain the CPU since it reads as 2400 in the BIOs but 1.8 in the system hardware specs on Windows.

Edit: Found the problem for the CPU, it was a power setting that turned down the speed to keep it cooler.. which is pretty pointless... just so you know if you experience a similar problem in the future.

Last edited:
Back