• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sempron Vs Mobile Barton

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

Hey all. i got my 939 rig all up and beautiful for my main stuff but i need a second box to host my web page and a phpbb forum for my gaming friends. It is a little too much to run on my 3200+ and still use it so im looking into a fairly new Socket 462 chip and im not sure which one..

The system:
-Gigabyte GA-7N400-L *nforce 2 ultra 400*
-2x512 mb Samsung pc3200 DDR *2.5-3-3-7*
-120 gb Seagate 8mb 8.5ms 7200.7rpm *hand me down from this box*

Basicly, i need a cpu and im not sure which one i want to use. The choices are mainly cost divided. For $77 cdn *currently on sale* i can get a Sempron 2400+ which.... i think would do the job admirably. this server only needs to host my personal web site, the guild web site and a php forum under win2k.
The second option is a Mobile Barton 2500+ 45w that is like.. $60 more.

Im not going to go as far as to say i wont try to oc this thing at all. surely, if ic ould get 2 ghz over 1.6 that would be awsome but its meant to be quiet and inconspicuous. the mobile might be better, but performence wise, should i go for it?

bleh. trying to save money. Im sure if i get only one stick of ram it would do the same job. i have to buy a switch too.

Valk said:
Hey all. i got my 939 rig all up and beautiful for my main stuff but i need a second box to host my web page and a phpbb forum for my gaming friends. It is a little too much to run on my 3200+ and still use it so im looking into a fairly new Socket 462 chip and im not sure which one..

The system:
-Gigabyte GA-7N400-L *nforce 2 ultra 400*
-2x512 mb Samsung pc3200 DDR *2.5-3-3-7*
-120 gb Seagate 8mb 8.5ms 7200.7rpm *hand me down from this box*

Basicly, i need a cpu and im not sure which one i want to use. The choices are mainly cost divided. For $77 cdn *currently on sale* i can get a Sempron 2400+ which.... i think would do the job admirably. this server only needs to host my personal web site, the guild web site and a php forum under win2k.
The second option is a Mobile Barton 2500+ 45w that is like.. $60 more.

Im not going to go as far as to say i wont try to oc this thing at all. surely, if ic ould get 2 ghz over 1.6 that would be awsome but its meant to be quiet and inconspicuous. the mobile might be better, but performence wise, should i go for it?

bleh. trying to save money. Im sure if i get only one stick of ram it would do the same job. i have to buy a switch too.

I'd go with the sempy--- and get that thing more ram =) A 2400+ shouldnt have any CPU issues if its hosting a webpage.
:)

I kinda figured =\. I was even looking around at some used shops for a 1800+ or somthing.. no juice. the best i found was a matched pair of 1600+'s with sk6+ heatsinks.. $145 cdn... aint bad. but factor in like... a MP board and that goes way over budget.
i was thinking mobile barton merly for flexability. sure, it ocs mad, but if i have pc 3200 ram and i want to run it at pc 3200, ill have to run that sempron up to like 2.3 ghz on a 266 mhz bus. the mobile would let me run that at 200 fsb while maintaining a quiet and cool 1.8-2.0 ghz core. I miss my tbred.. a lot...

you are both right. thank you for taking the time to post ^^

this one the sempron wins hands down, that's a good price for the sempron, mobiles are only about 20 bucks more though :)

I think i have somthing againt sempy's i just dont see why people get them they are crippled chips =) when mobiles are around , If you are looking for low noise , the mobile will do 2ghz with very little V and not need 2 much in the ways of cooling . But the Sempy will prob do that job you are looking for it to proform .

||Console|| said:
I think i have somthing againt sempy's i just dont see why people get them they are crippled chips =) when mobiles are around , If you are looking for low noise , the mobile will do 2ghz with very little V and not need 2 much in the ways of cooling . But the Sempy will prob do that job you are looking for it to proform .

Actually, they are boosted Tbreds.

Tbred B core+333fsb.

They are not crippled at all!

(aside from the fact they arent bartons.....)

Word of warning tho, Sempr0ns are locked. That could be a problem if you planned on OCing it substantially, but since you arent it should be fine

Yeah the semp is locked, but a 2400+ has a 10x multi which is just about ideal for a NF2 ultra or 400 board with PC3200 memory. The chip is going to max out in the 2.1-2.3Ghz range which translates to 210-230 fsb - about all you'd get anyway.

I definitely think for the given circumstances the sempron is the right choice.

I'd pay a little extra for the mobile. You'll always kick yourself for getting a Sempron.

Times change and you bound to ask more of the 2nd system. The mobile will give it to you and the Sempron will disappoint. Surely you'll get an extra year out of the system with even a MXP2400+.

Mobiles are all but gone now so used ones will be worth a lot. You'll get your money back having a better system and having something someone will want. The only Sempron anyone will want is the Sempron 3000+ because it's a Barton and has a decent locked multiplier of 12.

he heh. I kinda wanna get a mobile but its a cost issue. i dont want to spend more than $300 for everything i need. Switch => Memory => Hard drive => Cpu oh and a cheap video card because i found out the one i have is agp2x and physically incompatible with any of my stuff.
Sempron 2400+ is $77 on sale right now, where the mobile barton 2500+ is $127. doesnt seem like a big difference, but the ram is on sale for $80 a peice and i think an additional 512 mb of ram will do far better than a few cpu cycles here or there.
Mobiles are actully not rare at all either. meh.. ill have to think on it this week i guess. just didnt want to see an entire pay period pissed to this i guess ^^;;

Don't have experience with mobiles. But runnin a Sempron 2200+ now that got bundle with an ECS K7VTA3. Chips oc's pretty good to 2182 mhz with vcore of 1.78 and a $18 HSF. Have to mod bridges on them to unlock multipliers. And the mod is not known to work on Nforce chipsets. So as far as I can say Semprons are worth the bang for the buck. Combo was only 70 dollars.

Mobiles will eventually disappear, but it probably won't be any time soon. Demand is already falling off for them because of the A64 and that trend will only continue to grow as A64s fall in price. In six months it'll be just plain stupid to want a mobile over a similarly priced (or even cheaper) A64 or socket 754 90nm Sempron. This will cause the price on mobile XPs to stabilize (ultimately in the $40-50 range), and a supply of them to be available for at least a few years.

As far as the mobile lasting longer than a socket A sempron, sorry but they are too close in performance for that to be true. Even with extra cache and a higher overclock the raw CPU speeds are going to be within about 20% of each other. Factor in that the platform plays just a big a role in performance (if not a larger one) and that both chips would be using the same setup, and it's pretty clear the mobile would be faster but not by a whole lot. Certainly they'll be close enough so that if one becomes obsolete and need replacing the other would too.

I was faced with this same decision a few months ago - buy a mobile XP or a much less expensive Sempron. I went with the Sempron and couldn't be happier. If I had it to do over, I'd choose the Sempron again.

||Console|| said:
but why run @ 2ghz-2.2 when u can run @ 2.5-2.7

Exactly, ||Console||! Unless there just was no way to come up with the extra cash, why choose a multiplier-locked processor with 1/2 the L2 cache when you can get the "creme de creme" of Socket A CPUs?

AMD intends for the Sempron to replace the Athlon XP as value processors. Mobile Semprons will replace mobile Bartons, too. I don't know when this will happen but if I were buying a Socket A chip, I'd be getting an MXP.

Demand still seems to be high for MXPs (NewEgg keeps raising the price and running out of stock). Most aren't for a brand new system but as upgrades for existing mobos. That's what I did to breathe life into my three aging systems and I couldn't be happier. I'm pleased with the performance increase and expect to get an extra year out of the systems. Plus I recovered most of the cost of the mobiles by selling my desktop CPUs. What a deal!

Y u ask? Maybe because #1)Cheaper, I will gladly accept 2.2 ghz over 2.5 to save 25-60 dollars #2)Not all desktop mobos are compatible with mobile cpu #3)Not all look to the Sempron for overclocking, I'm sure thats y u have mobile Semprons that are multi-unlock.

You guys gotta remember the market isn't just oriented for the likes of pppl like the ones that hang around here.

I'll be the first to defend the Sempron. Even though its lacks half the cache, this cpu does the job it was meant for very well. I easily oc'ed mines(2200+) with cooling and mod that didn't cost me alot at all. So far today I've only spent $18 on a new HSF and $20 on a gang of thermal compound. Did a few cpu bridge and mobo mods and i'm enjoying 2182 mhz np. Don't be so quick to knock sumthin because of paper stats, give it a chance in real-time first.

I know jack about the mobile Barton experience, so I can't shoot it down or vouch for it.

If price is a issue grab a Sempron yo, preferably the 754 one or a 2500+ or 2800+.

Also the bartons newegg is selling only have 266 mhz fsb.

Last edited:
gmony01 said:
...Also the bartons newegg is selling only have 266 mhz fsb.

But no one in their right mind is running a mobile Barton in a desktop at 266 - most people run them at 400-460 (using DDR numbers instead of 200-230MHz).

AMD Sempron 2600+ (1.83 GHz, Socket A) 256k L2 Cache, 333MHz FSB (Retail) $109.95CAD

AMD Mobile Athlon XP-M 2500+ (1.86 GHz Barton) 512k L2 Cache, 266MHz FSB (OEM) Available $125.00CAD

looking to make a new comp for a friend
budget about $600CAD after tax

my old computer i ran a abit nf7 with mobile 2500 @ 200x11 easily but can go farther if i spent some time on it

looking at the sempron having half the cache and multiplier locked, i think the $16 extra is justified to getting the mobile

but it looks like the nf7 is prett much phased out now, there's some a7n8x-x but they are not dual channel

my friend has a soltek nforce2 board and having alot of problems

but it looks like the nf7 is prett much phased out now, there's some a7n8x-x but they are not dual channel

The NF7 is still being made by Abit. The a7n8x is Asus. The newest Abit Socket 7 board is the NF7-S2 which isn't very good compared to the NF7 or NF7-S.

Back