• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Going from A64 754 to P4? lol? Worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CordialSpam

Well I really wanted to try the high end intel for the first time and play around with it..I was just wondering is it worth to sell all stuffs I have (sig) and going for a P4? If yes what should I looking for? s478 or LGA? Well I have no experience with intel except the old school p3 and s423 p4. Is the upgrade noticeable? I mean I don't really game that much..all I play is Wc3..which it doesn't require that much of a high end a64/vid card..and I'm not a big gamer..I rarely play games...I usually do mixing music/converting/extracting..etc..multi media stuff..you know..

does the upgrade noticable? or is it not really worth an upgrade? I mean..I get lags when I have too much stuff open at same time with music playing + chatting + 6 firefox window + mixing music/extracting..etc..with my a64..

You would notice an increase with a top of the line Intel box, but it will cost ya,

you wont get back half what it would cost you for new CPU/MoBo/Ram.
In all honesty, I would wait until you are ready for an all out upgrade,
You wont see a considerable difference between you 3000+ and what you could get
from an Intel rig, would be minimal for the cost.

I wouldn't upgrade to that...I doubt you'd notice. I recently upgraded to the system in my sig from a 1.8 duron...Only reason I did that was because it was 300 bucks for the mobo/cpu's/HSF's and I had everything else. Since I don't game often this system will last me atleast a full year (which is a very long time for me)

you probably won't go to socket 478 which would be step back from socket 754, especially that windows xp 64 should show up this year.
Then if you go with socket 775 intel, that going to be pricy, New cpu, ram, graphic card, psu or adapter. depends what you pick.

Hybrid dfi and intel cpu for t socket with ability to keep old ram and graphic card

Other wise everthing would have to go except hard drives and optical drives

In my opinion it's not worth the change.

CordialSpam said:
does the upgrade noticable? or is it not really worth an upgrade? I mean..I get lags when I have too much stuff open at same time with music playing + chatting + 6 firefox window + mixing music/extracting..etc..with my a64..

Since it sounds like you do a lot of multitaksing...you would see a noticable difference with this going from a A64 to a intel (3.0E+)...and if you do a lot of encoding you will see a somewhat noticable difference...

But if you are a gamer...you wont see a difference...and possible might see a performance drop...

I guess I will just live with my current rig for now and wait for my next upgrade. It is going to be intel I think :) Unless AMD have same map nice processors coming out in the next 2-3 years :)

Back