• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to setup Yahoo Messager with both HW&SW Firewalls enabled!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCdragon

I use xDSL, 3Com ADSL Wireless 11g Router with its HW Firewall enabled by default. Besides my W2K PC also has Sygate SW Firewall installed and enabled as well. I just have Yahoo's Instant Messager registered so that I can talk to and see my Cousins through this Internet Communications using my Sound Card fitted with MIC and WebCam!
I tested these setups all O.K. with Yahoo's own "Sound" and "WebCam" Setup programs without a single catch,i.e. I could see myself through the WebCam and heard my own voice when speaking to the MIC. However I was unable to "hear" my Cousin's voice, but able to seeing her only; but she was able to both hear and see me O.K. on the other side under Yahoo Messager. So what was wrong? I guessed that I may need to configure the HW/SW Firewalls I have so that her "Sound", say UDP/TCP data, could reach my PC then, but how! Could you help please!!

Regards

Hi, you may need to open the necessary ports if the firewall appears to be blocking the relevant data. Try running netstat on your PC while connected and see what ports it is using/trying to use and make sure they are open on your router.

My Reply!!

David said:
Hi, you may need to open the necessary ports if the firewall appears to be blocking the relevant data. Try running netstat on your PC while connected and see what ports it is using/trying to use and make sure they are open on your router.

David,
Thank you for your suggestion. That is also I am suspecting as well! But opening these Ports would be risky as it will entail the Firewall protections, both HW and SW ones, against these ports useless, isn't it? Besides, I may have to close these ports again during non-Yahoo messaging sessions which is troublesome. Is there any other more convient means of doing the similar things?

Thank you

Back