• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone think win2k is better than xp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

hey guys...im sitting here at a small descision. i do mainly video editing, and id like to have every resource possible. there are some issues with my motherboard raid drivers and sound withinxp, but under 2k i hear they dont exist. its been awhile since ive run2k, but do you guys think it might be worth it to go back to 2k over xp? i dont think doing the running 2k3 as a workstation OS would be right (which ive done)

thanks in advance

2000 is a great OS. The only problem I see with running it will be coming soon if MS stops updating it. Hopefully they will continue to update it. 2000 really is Windows XP without all the fluff. ;)

what problems do you refer to? i would think XP has more compatibiliy then 2k does considering 2k was a "workstation" O/S - not really a home users O/S like XP is...

u can also tweak xp - takes about 20 mins and get it down to using the same resouces as 2k does.

I think XP is everything 2k is, but has a couple useful extras... configured in the right way, it can be just as lean and mean though.

Personally, I prefer Win2k over WinXP. Win2k is sleeker and faster, imo. It also doesn't have all the eye candy that XP has.

Sure, you can take XP and disable all of the pretty things, but after you do all that, you'll just have Win2k anyways. Why not cut out the middle man and save yourself some work? :)

well the drivers for my board were released for 2k firstly....i used to run 2k on another board and it was MUCH faster

compatability, my raid controller doesnt work right in xp. i set it to ata mode, and i get corrupted data with ide80. ide40 is fine, but slow. under linux, no problems. under server2k3, no problems.

i need to reformat soon anyways

yea, i just dont see being able to tweak xp as smooth as 2k...close maybe, but not as fast. i dont need all the fancy stuff xp has to offer, although it does look good.

I like XP slightly better, just because of a few handy features. Some admin utilities are slightly different and handy I believe, and integrated cd burning is very simple and nice.

XP can be tweaked faster than 2k easily. How smooth and responsive either system is primarily depends on the person doing the tweaking. If you take XP and just turn off the theme service, and set visual effects to performance, XP will outperform 2k easily, most noticeably at boot time... Largely thanks to the automatic background optimizations which occur by default in XP. If both are tweaked, there should be little difference between the two, but XP should still be better at boot time.

I really like 2k, and its naturally lighter on system memory, but I just favor some of the added convenience of a default XP installation. I would be just as satisfied using either as my own workstation, but I assume I have this opinion because I would prefer to service an XP machine rather than a 2k... I do both every day, and there really is very little difference, but XP occasionally shows an advantage or two which leads me to prefer it.

sincei dont care how pretty my machine is, ill probably set it to performance...besides i f'd over a uxtheme, so my taskbar doesnt skin , not even the luna theme.

I can't believe we haven't heard from Overclocker550 on this one. lol.
I vote for XP just because It's easier to fix my friends and familys computers without going to their house using remote desktop. That and how easy XP sets up devices and networking. Sure we can all set up our own stuff, but do we really want to.

I.M.O.G. said:
I like XP slightly better, just because of a few handy features. Some admin utilities are slightly different and handy I believe, and integrated cd burning is very simple and nice.

XP can be tweaked faster than 2k easily. How smooth and responsive either system is primarily depends on the person doing the tweaking. If you take XP and just turn off the theme service, and set visual effects to performance, XP will outperform 2k easily, most noticeably at boot time... Largely thanks to the automatic background optimizations which occur by default in XP. If both are tweaked, there should be little difference between the two, but XP should still be better at boot time.

I really like 2k, and its naturally lighter on system memory, but I just favor some of the added convenience of a default XP installation. I would be just as satisfied using either as my own workstation, but I assume I have this opinion because I would prefer to service an XP machine rather than a 2k... I do both every day, and there really is very little difference, but XP occasionally shows an advantage or two which leads me to prefer it.
That's pretty much how I feel. Win 2K is a good OS, I just find XP Pro (when customized to my liking) to be better.

Windows XP right out of the box looks like Fisher Price "My First PC" or something, lol. But when configured and customized, it looks and operates very good, IMO. XP gets my vote.

I use windows xp pro, but I really stripped it down using nLite. Installation took 10 minutes, and it loads up in 1/4 a pass of the bar. If I did not have kaspersky anti-virus on it, this OS would be 100% instant.

Still, if your drivers don't work with XP, that leaves only upgrading your hardware or using a different operating system.

We are in the process of switching from 2K to Sp Pro in my business environment and at the last company I worked for I beta tested XP in place of NT4 for them and both times XP was HANDS DOWN the winner. XP is faster in all apps, pretty much GPF free and boot time in 2k was up to 5 minutes, now 30 seconds with XP. I think it's a no-brainer myself, but that's my opinion.

Easy. I like XP Pro but I use both. My main rig has XP and with a few tweaks it's plenty fast. Mostly I like the fact that it take care of stuff like PnP and networking on its own but if I want to I can tweak away. I keep 2000 around because my backup rig is a bit old and does not have the power to run XP. You might ssay 2000 extended its usefullness.

all xp is is Win2000 pro sp 5 with some eye candy.

also added in is (IMO) much better support for legacy programs than Win2k. However, 2k and XP are technically the same thing, so it doesn't make much difference what you choose.

MadSkillzMan said:
is there a tweak to get the speed burst on the internet that 2k3 has to offer?

huh ? :D

i use 2l3 on a few servers and if i can improve the internet conneciton somehow to be more resourcseful that would be great.

I have had 2Kpro since it first came out. I continue too use it on my main rig, by choice, since I own XP and reformat about every eight months or so. I do have XP SP2 on my lappy and have worked on a few XP machines and have it on one or two of my other computers at various times. I have to say that, when configured to my needs there is really not much diff stability wise nor in speed, but XP does load and exit faster. And Xp really is much easier to install into and some newer stuff just doesn't work as well on 2K. However, some of my standard 2K stuff Ive learned to trust over the years has been upgraded to the point where it is not the same thing I know and love when I use the newer versions that are required for XP. I guess that soon I will be moving over for good, mostly because of compatibility issues and to take full advantage of the newer software and updates.

I used to think that win2k was better then winxp, but then the blue color schemes got to me :) jk . No i believe there are some options on xp that you cant get on 2k.

Back