• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IS7 v.1 problem with P4 3.0 E0 stepping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sulu

Registered
Hi guys,

I am having problem with my IS7 v1.0 and p4 3.0 E0 stepping.
I have the latest bios and latest Intel INF. (also flashed to latest bios)
However I am running into problem when I try to run Adware, spybot, and regsupreme.

Basically it will start scanning and hang... Sometimes adware will not even load.

I have another IC7 system and the CPU works fine in that one. I tried 3.0 northwood and 3.0 prescott DO stepping(in IS7) and they work fine. They both have same PS and similar setup.

What can be the problem? By the E0 overclocks pretty well. I got up to 3.8 at 1.42V. I can even pass dual instance of prime95 for 24 hours... This why I think it's strange that some programs are hanging like this even when i set everything at default speed.

Here is system

p4 3.0 E0 prescott
IS7
2 x 512 pc3200 ddr
geforce 3 ti500
seagate 120gb
dvdrw
cd

Please help guys!

You know, I just installed a IS7 v1.0 to replace my P4P800. Damn thing wouldn't boot with the 3.2E D0 (but worked fine when I finally tried a 2.4C) until I started doing some sniffing around with the bioses. So I installed the current bios via the Abit flash utility, which is like 23 or something. Still dead as Mussolini, CPU didn't even warm up to the touch.

I did some surfing and found that my IS7 1.0 does, in fact, support the 3.2E. So I am like WTF?!?!?! Why won't this boot?

After looking around a little, it seems that there are apparently different types of bios out there. The one that flash utility installs was worthless. However, I found another that I DL'd and flashed from file that worked fine. I DL'd from the Abit Web site under IS7/IS7-G:

ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/download/bios/is7/is7g19.exe

This is an older BIOS than the one the the Flash Utility installs automatically. Maybe it won't work with the E0, but it saved me. Maybe you should try an IS7-G version?

FWIW...

are you running into this problem with a fresh install of windows? Windows may freak out a bit even if you change your processor, a reinstall may clear it up for ya.

thank for the reply guys.

Actually I have IS-7G. I sorry about that. I have the latest bios on it and prescott D0 3.0 works fine and I can oclock that cpu to 3.6 without problem.

And Helsyeah, you think so? I mean the system works fine with northwood and prescott D0 stepping. do you think there is big difference in E0?

Strange thing is the E0 works fine on my IC7...(this is where northwood is usually plugged in)

If you run an EO you need the latest Abit BIOS; they have updated it. If you can't save settings in the BIOS with an EO, it needs an updated BIOS.

I have run EO/DO Pressies using the same OS as my NWs no problem. Absolutely everything I tried in the way of 3D/CPU stress tests works.

sulu said:
And Helsyeah, you think so? I mean the system works fine with northwood and prescott D0 stepping. do you think there is big difference in E0?

Strange thing is the E0 works fine on my IC7...(this is where northwood is usually plugged in)

I of course cant be certain that reinstalling will fix the problem, but depending on the situation, it might be worth a shot. I do agree that it seems odd that just changing the processor would cause an windows install to act up, but stranger things have happened.

E0 requires different microcode update. Prescotts have problems without microcode update. Have you tried importing newest microcode update by latest version of CBROM32? It needs to be uncompressed for Prescott and only latest CBROM32 supports that. It should work then. As Abit uses AWARD BIOS, that should not be a problem to modify BIOS this way.

Petr I think you might be right.

At work most of the P4 we are getting are E0 stepping. So we have to flash the bios on the boards to get bios exiting to work.

Abit must have not updated micro code for IS7G(which is what I have). I flashed to the latest bios and the problem still persists. I just swtiched back to spare 3.0 northwood now and everything is fine.

I tried the E0 in IC7 and everything is fine now...

This is weird. I really would like to use the E0 on IS7G because IC7 is main workstation for me and I want to use the northwood to keep the temp and noise low.

By the the way what is CBROM32?

Back