• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Make-shift dust trap for fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pcgamer4life

A guy at a local computer store told me that stretching nylon panty-hose across your fan will stop all the dust, and still have good airflow.

Personally, I think that it would restrict the airflow considerably, but he said otherwise. Anyone ever try this? If so, does it work?

every one does this who doesnt have built in filters (ur title is miss leading it should be good filters or somthing)

any way every one on the forums know about this so if u need good filtering use nylons or air conditioning filters.

I have used both. Right now I have some black filter from homedepot that cost about $1 for a piece that was 3feet by 2 feet. Airflow is fine and anything is better than 3lbs of dust in the computer

The nylons work perfectly and don't restrict the air much at all if you strech them out across a fan grill.
They also keep the fan blades nice and clean!

sVperbeast2k5 said:
The nylons work perfectly and don't restrict the air much at all if you strech them out across a fan grill.
They also keep the fan blades nice and clean!
A lot of folks forget that the dirtier the fan blades the less performance. Dust and dirt on the fan blades actually create drag and reduce the cfm.
I have a built in screen in my front fan and it does a great job. I am looking to screen my side intake also. Nylons are looking good for this. Seems to work for alot of others here.

syberspy9, please be kinder to people newer to the forums. That's all I will say about that.

In addition to the nylons, airconditioner filters, even the dryer sheets, I've heard about people using the (usually) green scrubbing sponges. Easy to clean, and probably every house hold has one.

As for me, I have so little airflow going though my case (with great temps.... w/e...), I just not use filters at all. A cleaning every half year is fine with me.

dryer sheet looks kindda bad IMO becaue there's so little holes in the thing, you guys thinks it'll work? i can just take some after it use them and put it on the fan to test (hehe i wouldn't dare taking them out of the box and use it for my own purpose, my mom will kill me)

Really at this point, its not a matter of if it will work. These have all been tried before.

Dryer sheets are good, used dryer sheets are better and much less potent smelling. Overlap two of them if you think one isn't enough.

Nylon pantyhose work great. Dust filters always reduce airflow, but the fan should still be able to pull it through. Especially if your filter is over a larger surface area (like the front intake on an Antec case).

Green sponge? Not sure what you're talking about, but sponge sounds bad. Plain disposable dryer sheets.

LOL.. its been my observation that most of the heavy modders in here have PLEANTY of CFM's worth of fans to loose 1 or 2 from a filter and not affect preformance any. I only have one case fan on mine, blowing in, and it has a nylon filter on it.. works great, as long as you remember to clean it often.

Here is the question you need to ask yourself.. Do I feel like cleaning my entire computer out once or twice a year, or do I want to change a filter on a weekly/monthly basis? I end up vac'ing my filter out about once monthly.. otherwise, it gets crappy and airflow is really restricted..

Its all the same amount of dust, just a difference in the amount of surface area..

Lee

Oh yeah.. also a few years back, I was experimenting with a duct that would displace dust and such, kinda like the way snow drifts on the side of a building when the wind blows. I don't know if I still have it, if I do, I'll post pics of it.. It didn't work as well as I had hoped.. then again.. I'm not a fluid dynamic engineer either.. lol

Just somthing for the people here to think about.

Lee

Edit..

Can't find the actual duct.. but here is basic idea..

my.php

Fear my mad Paint skillzz

Last edited:
I think this would be an excellent Idea, but I just clean out my comptuer with a heavy air compressor and its good as new. I probably do this every 2 months or so, over that it basically looks like its outside :p.

Back