• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

star wars: kotor 1 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

svnrd

i'm borrowing kotor from my brother. whenever i am trying to get to my final test to become a padawan, the game freezes. i'm in the fields and everything becomesa real choppy . when i try to move a character, the game is slow to respond and eventually, the character ends up pivoting on one foot doing many circles, afterwards. i won't be able to move the character at all. i've tried to reinstal the game, but it keeps doing it. i don't believe it's my computer. plus i just got the newer catalyst drivers for my 9800pro. what's going on? :bang head

and what rez and settings are you running it at. at times for me, it has skipped... like seemed to freeze, then start back up but i have traveled quite a distance forward. could just be your settings... it used to happen to me before, but not on my new system.

Hmmm...have you downloaded the newest KOTOR patch?
If that doesn't work, I'd try using different sets of older drivers.

When I played it, it did a similar thing at that point. It's prolly taxing the system pretty bad, I forgot to turn off folding so I did that and it was a lot smoother. Wasnt really a problem anywhere else. I would try to turn down the settings for a while. Turn them back up later if you want to try it.

i played with the settings. i turned off everything and used the lowest res and fps i could. i'll try going back to my older graphics card drivers tonight when i get off of work. the game patch didn't do anything. i took off the game patch and and it still did it.

even on my system (see specs) it would sometimes freeze for a second, then do the travel for 50 feet forward in a split second bit... my bros were playing it, and had a similar problem..... when it started.... they would Alt-Tab out... let the memory 'clear' itself back to the desktop, alt-tab back to the game, then let the memory 'clear' back to the game... and it would clear up...

one was using a radeon 9200, and the other was using a nvidia 5200.

that's exactly what i am talking about. i used to have the same thing happen to me. mine seemed to clear itself up though... although i am running it on a slightly different system now. although the only main difference is the amount of ram. I just re-installed it to play again and it ran fine this time (on my TI4800). i think the game might actually just be a bit buggy, or tasking on the system.

that's what it's doing to me. it just doesn't go away. it locks up the game and i have to restart the game, but even then it still does it.

I'm having the exact same problem currently. I've tried everything mentioned above and nothing seems to help. It's very frustrating! I'm going to try and disable HT and see if that helps any.

hmm.... i'm not sure then. i guess its a different problem on each individual machine. On my bro's, it was a memory problem.... on mine, it was a harddrive problem (the harddrive quit spinning while the game played.... made no sense to me)... it may be different for you both, as well.

I had a similar problem when i installed KOTOR a few months back. Except my computer would randomly crash every 5-10 min. into the game. After doing some hardcore forum searching I found there is a big problem with ATI's Catalyst drivers. The newer drivers don't work for some reason. I can't remember what version of the Catalyst do work but i am sure if you search KOTOR's offical pages they will tell you. So try that and it should help.

Back