• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

socket 754 3200 newcastle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leo5111

i want to know does a socket 754 newcastle overclock worth a heck and is it a chip that runs super hot?? i mean my friend has a A64 3000 newcastle socket 754 and it runs like 130f with a watercooling setup is that a normal temp for that chip??? or does it sound like theres something wrong with his chip...ps..HIS WATERCOOLING IS THE THERMALTAKE BIGWATER...thanx for any help

1. If you were to clock a s754 chip, make it either a DTR or Mobile. These should clock higher than any desktop processor. The average overclock for a good s754 would be about 2.5-2.55 max.

2. The Bigwater is a poor excuse for a watercooling kit. Simply put, it will not cool any better than a high-end air solution, maybe worse.

3. Assuming you have not yet pieced together your Athlon 64 system, you need to be thinking about s939.

deception``

His 130f temp is high for water cooling, but it depends on his OC. The socket 754 3400 NewCastle will usually do 2.6 without any problems, more if you've got good cooling like a proper water setup. I dont have the 3200, but my 3400, on a regular old "nothing special" heatsink runs about 110f crunching SETi at 2.5 Ghz, close to 130f on the same air cooling at 2.6Ghz and up...

Back