• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two cores at once..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woozy

I'm running two cores at once using 100% load. Both cores are working at the same rate one was working at on my computer. Since I have the H&T is was only using 50% load. Take my computer 10 minutes per 2 frames. More folding gunna get done once I get my network running got two more rig run one core on each. :beer:

i think he means [H]
ive been noticing a recent increase of folding. i wonder why.

I was wondering about dual folding in a HT P4.
Up to now i have 5 P4s with HyperThreading folding but with 1 core each (50% CPU), i wondered whether adding a second core would affect the performance (time per frame) of the single core.
SO from what i read here it doesnt? SO theoretically i can double my production?

I would also like help on adding a second windows based (grafical console) core. Beacause if i already have a windows console instaled and i try to install (in a diferent folder) and run another it says that already one core is running...

AlienHack said:
I was wondering about dual folding in a HT P4.
Up to now i have 5 P4s with HyperThreading folding but with 1 core each (50% CPU), i wondered whether adding a second core would affect the performance (time per frame) of the single core.
SO from what i read here it doesnt? SO theoretically i can double my production?

I would also like help on adding a second windows based (grafical console) core. Beacause if i already have a windows console instaled and i try to install (in a diferent folder) and run another it says that already one core is running...

It won't double your performance, but still it will increase it a lot. It's definietly worth trying.

A small quote from F@H FAQ said:
Does Folding@home run on dual processor machines?

Yes, you can. Additional processors must run the console version (with the "-local" command-line argument if run on Windows). First, make additional directories for each processor and copy the FAH Console executable file into each. Then configure them with the -config switch, filling in settings for each. It is very important to make sure that under the "Advanced Settings" option each copy is given a unique machine ID (from 1 to 8). The first copy will default to a machine ID of 1, so additional copies should be given IDs of 2, 3, 4, etc. Each may then be run out of their installed directory, using the -local switch on windows.
Personally I preffer Console or Service installations, as they don't disturb your work and introduce less overhead.

Last edited:
Woozy said:
Both cores are working at the same rate one was working at on my computer. Since I have the H&T is was only using 50% load.
Not really. One of the idiosyncracies of Windows is that with Hyterthreading enabled, its only going to report a maximum of 50% load from one thread. One instance of FAH will use 100% of the processor, Windows just reports it at 50%.

On your signature rig, you should be running 2 instances of bigpackets to maximize production. You'll find it will produce 2 instances at a rate of about 53 minutes per frame. If you were running one instance, which is what Stanford prefers, your production rate would drop to about 30 minutes per frame, about 20% less than two instance production.

Back