• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All copper GPU/NB blocks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
I am working on a new WC setup for my new case. I currently am just running an MCW-6000 on the CPU, but ordered a NexXxos XP to check out. In any event, I want to try to keep all the blocks in the new setup 100% copper or copper/brass...no alum/copper and no poly tops.

There is always the venerable Maze4 for the GPU...the "chrome" version would match the NexXxos nicely since it's also chromed on top, but the Acetal version would also be fine by me. I am also considering the Cyclone Fusion, which are really the only 2 GPU blocks I've seen that are 1) good and 2) not alum or poly topped. If you know of any others, please point them out.

Same issue on the NB, but I haven't really found *any* all-copper WB for it. Is the Cyclone NexusSX OK? I haven't really heard much about it, but is the same channel design as the highly rated Fusion. Any others that you are aware of?

Thanks

You can get a Maze4 Chipset block with a brass top. It is $6 more, and you can select it on Danger Den's website in a drop down menu. Brass won't react with the copper like aluminum does, and won't crack like poly does.

You can get a Maze4 Chipset block with a brass top. It is $6 more, and you can select it on Danger Den's website in a drop down menu. Brass won't react with the copper like aluminum does, and won't crack like poly does.
Thanks for the info on the brass top Maze4...I didn't realize it was an option. Yeah, that's exactly why I listed the Cyclones (brass top/copper bottom) and don't want the alum/poly tops :)

I am also looking for a NB block made of copper that will fit a 925XE chipset.
I have the 925XE too and the MCW20 block from the "old" system fits it just fine. The 915/925/925XE is same 4 clip retention setup, so any 845/865/875 chipset blocks should work just fine. I have yet to find an all-copper NB block...the closest thing (brass/copper) is the Cyclone NexusSX that I mentioned in the opening post. There is also a NexusLX, but has an anodized top that just looks mustard yellow...yuck.

I'd go with the maze4 on the northbridge, simply because it's so open flowing. It won't hurt cpu/gpu temps as much.

The Cyclone Nexus block may be a little more restrictive than the Maze4 NB because the channels look a little smaller, BUT the copper base looks a lot larger than the Maze4 and the flow is direct across the core (not curved)...maybe that added mass/surface area and more direct flow channel would equate to better cooling even if it is slightly more restrictive?

Then again the Maze4 probably has a better mounting solution for the Intel chipset....at least on the poly top pictured on their site. I just emailed them to see if the brass top version is the same 4-point retention system. If it is, that will probably put it in the "win" category for me. The Nexus has only a 2-point clip for the Intel chipset. Maybe the Nexus clip is stronger, but the MCW20 is only 2-point and it has a tendency to move around...

Back