• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im scared

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnmcc516

I overclocked my CPU and did a pretty good job with it. I now have my vga cooler and want to start overclocking my gpu. However, I am terrified to mod the bios. I have read tons and tons of threads on these forums, but I am still terrified. I don't want a $400 paper weight. Anyway, the point of this post, what is the best way to overclock my 6800GT? I have heard of rivatuner. I used coolbits at first, but I couldn't get near the speeds that I see posting using coolbits, which made me think I needed to mod the bios. Any help is appreciated.

There are all sorts of overclocking programs out there, which you use is up to personal taste.They should all result in the same speed since it's the card that's being OCd, not the program :D

As for flashing your card's BIOS, there's almost nothing to worry about. Unlike with a motherboard flash, if your card undergoes a bad flash the system still runs (I'd make sure that your BIOS is set to halt on no errors just in case though). You can then do a "blind flash" where you type in the command with no video feedback and hope everything works, OR you can find a PCI video card and flash your 6800 while the computer uses the PCI card to display the video. Just from flashing it's almost impossible to kill the card :)

*moves to nVidia*
JigPu

musawi said:
Bad. That is *not* what you want to use for a GT. Since he has no pipes to unlock he is best off using the "official" NV tweek. Found here:
http://nvtweak.laptopvideo2go.com/

This or coolbits 2.0 are your best options. <use nV tweek, more options that way>

Note that everytime you change your drivers you will need to re-enable nV tweek as well as coolbits.

<note that I own a 6800GT>

As for modding the BIOS its quite easy. However do not attempt unless you have the reference gree PCB GTs. The new ones come with ****ty voltage regs are are unable to use anything higher than default 1.3v (mine is this way)

Back