• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman Vf700-Cu Does not Fit with Ram Sinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mudpark41

The Zalman Vf700-Cu will not fit on a 6600GT AGP with the ram sinks. This is fun. I e-mailed Zalman asking for working ram sinks. While I wait is there any good way to cut the "fins" off the current ram sinks so that I can get it to fit or would that just destroy the preformance of the sinks?

just leave them off, the main HSF will cool them, or do what i just did today....i bought some pure copper ramsinks....and used a mini dremal tool and made them conform to the outline of the HSF :cool:

*Shakes Head* :rolleyes:
The structural instability Zalman is referring too has to do with the sudden shift in weight towards the outside edge of the card, which significantly increases the load on the PCB, and the leverage on the board and the motherboard AGP slot. Think of it like a lever, the futher our you go from the fulcrum the greater the force, by an exponential margin. Zalman is afraid that if you move your system and it is jolted it could rip your card/AGP slot out or apart. That's among the design comprimises which trouble me about using their part with a 6600GT AGP.

well i've moved mine and rocked it, it's not as unstable on they might think....what they forget to mention is that the GPU is only moved 2cm from the original location that of a PCI-e card...

Maybe I should just get the lighter AlCu model. I have some shorter copper ramsinks left over from my Vantec Iceberq4 Pro cooler I'm using to cool my North bridge. I might also see if I can make mods that would stabilize the unit on the card like some kind of edge bracing on the long fins.

I have fixed my Ram Sink problem. I removed the first 3 rows of the Sinks and now they fit under the Cooler. The ram has a "bit" of an increase in preformance but not much. But the Ram Sinks just look so nice that I like having them on.

mudpark41 said:
I have fixed my Ram Sink problem. I removed the first 3 rows of the Sinks and now they fit under the Cooler. The ram has a "bit" of an increase in preformance but not much. But the Ram Sinks just look so nice that I like having them on.

LOL....it does kinda make it look complete doesn't it :)

Well I just ordered the XFX GeForce 6600 GT AGP 128MB DDR3 & Zalman VF700-CU VGA Cooler. It should be a real nice upgrade from my MSI Ti4600 that now resides in my Xeon duallie. I almost got a BFG 6800U for $350 at Fry's Outpost.com but the extra expense plus heat and noise concerns disuaded me. If I already had a WC setup, I might have gone for it.

Audioaficionado said:
Well I just ordered the XFX GeForce 6600 GT AGP 128MB DDR3 & Zalman VF700-CU VGA Cooler. It should be a real nice upgrade from my MSI Ti4600 that now resides in my Xeon duallie. I almost got a BFG 6800U for $350 at Fry's Outpost.com but the extra expense plus heat and noise concerns disuaded me. If I already had a WC setup, I might have gone for it.

speaking of which i'm working on a custom WB for my 6600gt....mini router is seeing hell :p

Back