• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got my G4 installed and have some pics for you guys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtatdsm

well it took me forever to move everything to my new case (thermaltake shark) and finally installed my Storm G4 block. Temps somewhat are better than before (MCW6002) espcially underload (maybe 1 or 2 degrees I think) but I am hoping temps will get a bit better after the AS5 gets cooked a bit ;)

there you go.

shark9fu.jpg
g48hw.jpg

g426su.jpg

g4andgpu3yx.jpg

case9du.jpg

shark27mb.jpg

rads8ph.jpg

That looks really cool :D
With dual pump you might add NB block too... And please, do something with these cables in your case :)

Ditto, Im sure even you don't like those cables hanging around. :cool: I've also got a little cable duty todo but that will happen when my dremel arrives and I am installing my watercooling.

I'm not really a cable-nazi but I think your cabling is ok. Maybe not the neatest in the world but it stays out of the way. I was going to suggest a nb block also (not cause I think you need it unless you volt mod the nb, just cause hey! why not?) but it looks like a tight squeeze between the cpu and the graphics card.

thanks a lot people. I am not really into making my PC look super cool...........nah I am just kidding, I would if I can. it's kindda imposible to do any better with 3 hard disks, DVDR, 5 fans, and DDR Booster. anyway,I will try to do something about the hanging cables you guys see (DDR booster is what you guys see) and repost.

Premmer, dude, that's too much to ask for. I am not sure if I will be able to answer these tho {CPU Core Power (W) =
CPU Cooling System Thermal Resistance (C/W) = }

I will try tho

Your rig is very cool (physically too I think :) ), but cables just hide some part of it. There's nothing about forcing you to change your cables routing (as you don't need that much air flow inside case), just curiosity.

Premmer, here is the first go at it

IDLE\LOAD
Room Temperature (C) = 25C
Motherboard Temperature (C) = 29C
CPU Core Temperature (C) = 33C idle 36 load (cpu burn in for 10 mins)
CPU Core Voltage (V) = 1.44 volts in windows
CPU Core Power (W) = not sure
CPU Cooling System Thermal Resistance (C/W) = no clue
CPU Speed = 3.92 (245x16)

this is with Asus P4c800 E dlx

Premmer's also asking for the impossible, which is a comparison between different systems. It can't be done. None of the thermal sensors are calibrated, and none of the wattage output by these on-line wattage estimaters are accurate. Also the temperature that is really important, which has been omitted here, is the water temperature.

Repeatable results on an accurate testbed will give you that sort of info. Not random comparisons between different systems on opposite sides of the world, or even next door.

Heck, depending on which BIOS you run on your mobo, the CPU and mobo temps can vary by 10C or even more....

Nice work though xtatdsm.

xtatdsm said:
Premmer, here is the first go at it

IDLE\LOAD
Room Temperature (C) = 25C
Motherboard Temperature (C) = 29C
CPU Core Temperature (C) = 33C idle 36 load (cpu burn in for 10 mins)
CPU Core Voltage (V) = 1.44 volts in windows
CPU Core Power (W) = not sure
CPU Cooling System Thermal Resistance (C/W) = no clue
CPU Speed = 3.92 (245x16)

this is with Asus P4c800 E dlx

FYI, per Benchtest.com calculations and your input, your CPU Core Power is estimated to be ~130W and loaded C/W is ~ 0.05 --- amazing result!!!!

Just realized how unrepresentative your system is relative to mine so it would be meaningless for me to make any kind of performance comparision but thank you anyway for your efforts and the rapid response.

suhweet!!
and since there isn't a window on the case... the wires are good to go. they aren't in the way. (not that mine would ever look like THAT....:D) I LOVE the external setup.

i really like what you have done with your set up!! i like the stand next to your case for the heatercores the most!! :) keep up the good work!!

thanks for the great support guys.

I have been running prime95 on and off for the past 48 hours or so (trying to get the AS5 to do its job faster) so far I think the idle temp did not go down that much maybe 0.5 at the most, but load temps did go down by maybe a bit more than 1C. I think the AS5 needs a bit more time tho. for somereasons, way down deep in my heart, I hear a vioce saying "remount the cpu block" :) but what do you guys think, I mean I was hoping to see 3C lower load temps, which I am not seeing yet. then again, if I had a bad mount would not that show in the idle/load differance? I mean I beat the crap out of the CPU and GPU all at once for hours and my load temps go 5C higher at max from idle temp that is, so that tells me that I did a good job mounting the block? one last question, can I just tight the block mounting nuts a bit more or that will mess up the AS5?

thanks again guys

The best way to get AS5 to "settle" quickly is to run full load for 30 mins, turn off for 30 mins (leave the pump running if you can, otherwise turn off for an hour), and turn on, repeat the load, off cycle. By the third time you cycle your paste will have settled about as much as it is going to. You may pick up an extra 0.5-1.0C over a period of about 4-8 weeks, but then again you also may not.

3C would be getting towards the outer limits of the range of an expected temperature drop between a Storm/G4 and an MCW6002, depending on CPU type and load, and the quality of the mount of each block against the CPU. If you're running on a P4, which presents "compressed" temperature deltas to the user, then looking for a 3C difference may be a little too much to expect because P4's in general report less of a temperature delta than what is actually occurring due to the location of the P4's on-die temp sensor.

It also depends upon the reliability of one's thermal sensors (P4's not being terribly good at all), and closely monitoring ambient and water temperatures to ensure that the comparison being made is as even as possible at your end. Would probably need to remount a number of times to gain a good idea of the variance you are getting between mounts, and expected results between mounts, to be able to detect when you have a good mount, if you wanted to get the most out of the block.

A poor mount will affect both idle and load temps, in that both will be higher. You generally can't tell if you have a average or good mount by analysis of idle/load temps on a single mount. For terrible mounts you can, but when trying to pick the difference between good and average, you can't.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Cathar. now that was great help.

I did remount the block, damn that was too easy (have no wires on the way along with the perfect disgn of the block/bracket, made mounting and remounting the block very easy) I guess I put a bit too much AS5 last time, usually when I take the block off, I would see an almost a perfect circle in the middle of the core, this time, the AS5 was all over the place covering the whole core, so I cleaned that out and reaplied AS5 making sure not to put too much this time.

I will do your heat cycle trick Cathar, that sure makes a lot sense, especially leaving the pump on while the PC is off to cool down the CPU is just smart.

damn this watercooling thing is very addictive, isn't it? :attn: I can't beleive I started with Aquaruis III POS cooling and jumbed all the way to dual MCP350 along with dual heatercore with an addition to the best CPU block out there (G4) well the best untill the G5 comes out at least :D

does it ever end? I mean the greed for cooler temps :beer:

Sentential said:
Looks good. Are you using any sort of RAM sinks on your 68U/GT?

thanks and yes. I am using BGA ram sinks on my 6800 ultra, I also have a 80mm fan mounted on side of the case blowing air on the card.

xtatdsm said:
thanks and yes. I am using BGA ram sinks on my 6800 ultra, I also have a 80mm fan mounted on side of the case blowing air on the card.
Its an addiction, but a very fun addiction. Also look on the bright side, if you keep parts, you have W/Cing ready for a back-up system
:burn:

Back