Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Alternative Operating Systems
Alternative Operating Systems Linux, Mac, Unix Operating Systems and Applications
Forum Jump

my small foray

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 02-06-05, 11:53 AM Thread Starter   #1
TollhouseFrank
Senior Headphone Guru

my small foray

i've had a few different distros of Linux... tried them all.... couldn't quite get my teeth wrapped around them... Then found BeOS5. Yeah, i know, tis not the best... but i like it. It reminds me a lot of when i used to run a Powermac 65k YEARS ago... and had mac os 7.9 on it. its so similar... it felt like an old friend...

anyone else here use BeOS 5? i'm thinkin' of gettin' a laptop and making it one of the alternative os's, and i have a copy of BeOS 5 sitting here. any suggestions?

TollhouseFrank is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-06-05, 12:19 PM   #2
electrorcamd

What type of computer are you running it on? The site says it won't boot on anything that supports the SSE instruction set or has 1GB of RAM, unless you use a developer or max version.
How does it perform overall? I've wanted to try it to see what it is like, but I don't want to mess up my Linux install.

electrorcamd is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-06-05, 12:21 PM Thread Starter   #3
TollhouseFrank
Senior Headphone Guru

i've run it perfectly fine on every AMD system i've owned (including this current one), and i've got a friend with a PIV laptop (2.8ghz 512mb ram, has SSE) and it runs perfectly on it as well.

only problems i've had are drivers.... its frickin' hard to get the sound card drivers to work

Old 02-06-05, 01:41 PM   #4
electrorcamd

It doesn't work for me. Which version do you have and where did you download it from? The one I downloaded (from bebits) just starts to load then reboots.

electrorcamd is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 02-06-05, 02:52 PM Thread Starter   #5
TollhouseFrank
Senior Headphone Guru

i got mine off of a friend. if you want, i can work out a way for you to get a copy of the cd. just PM me

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Alternative Operating Systems
Alternative Operating Systems Linux, Mac, Unix Operating Systems and Applications