• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

30-capper question / advise wanted :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Geist

Registered
Hi all,
I´ve got a short question: Is there any chance for having a 3,4 ghz cpu with 30 caps which isn´t a 3,4 ghz EE? Or better: are there 3,4 ghz northies or pressies out there which do have 30 caps?

Thx
Geist

Last edited:
Oh come on guys! Someone has to have a clue about this... Or haven´t I pointed out what I´m asking for? Ok then this way -> How many different P4 cpus do you know which have 30 caps? I really need to know if there is a 3,4 ghz (either prescott oder northwood BESIDES the Extreme Editions!) ghz cpu with 30 caps...

The 2.4C and 2.8C M0 stepping were 30 cappers. There were some 3.0C and 3.2C that also had 30 caps. I don't know about the 3.4C, since I've never even seem one of them.

batboy,

Is there enough documented evidence that the 30 cappers overclock better or is it more hype than fact?

You are a well informed P4 guy...what are your thoughts?

Should people be looking for 30 cappers and how much of a premium, if any, are they worth?

When the 30 cap 3.0C first came out (same with the 2.4C M0), they were significantly better overclockers than their 12 cap brothers. But, later on (a few months) it didn't seem to matter much, because the 12 cappers caught back up with overclocking yields. Nowadays, I'm not really seeing much difference... on average... your mileage may vary. As long as you are getting a recent pack date, I would not pay a premium price for a 30 cap CPU.

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I can't count on getting 4.5 with air cooling on a 30-capper, huh? Darn...back to the drawing board.

Thx

Thank you for the info Batboy. Still not sure if there is a 3.4 ghz cpu with 30 caps...:(

Geist

Reefa_Madness said:
Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I can't count on getting 4.5 with air cooling on a 30-capper, huh? Darn...back to the drawing board.

I can't quite get my 3.8 prime stable at 4.5 gig. Close, but not quite.

Back