• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking the PIII-S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atheus

Yay! finally got me some processors for my dual P3 box :) (tyan board in sig ) 2*1133Mhz PIII-S with 512k L2. both SL6BW stepping. Got them off ebay, sooo much cheaper than the 1.4Ghz models, presumably coz everyone with an old P3 board wants the fastest available upgrade.
What can i do with these things? i'd love 2*1.5Ghz! would that churn out more raw CPU power than my athlon?

scud said:
Yay! finally got me some processors for my dual P3 box :) (tyan board in sig ) 2*1133Mhz PIII-S with 512k L2. both SL6BW stepping. Got them off ebay, sooo much cheaper than the 1.4Ghz models, presumably coz everyone with an old P3 board wants the fastest available upgrade.
What can i do with these things? i'd love 2*1.5Ghz! would that churn out more raw CPU power than my athlon?

At 1.5ghz a piece they are closer to an model 1800-2000 AXP. 2 of Them would be pretty snappy.

scud said:

i don't think Tyan boards are known for FSB adjustments, and that would be your only o/cing option, short of SoftFSB or some other software FSB overclocking program...

if you had an Iwill dual tualatin board, with the right PCI devices, you might be able to get ~1410mhz at 8.5x166 or at least 8.5x150 with the MSI or Iwill tualatin mobos..

damn. that mobo doesn't have FSB or voltage adjustments :/ nobody ever found a way to mod P3s to a higher multi did they? if not then i'll look into a way to hard-mod the board for higher FSB. it has a jumper for 100/133 and one for PCI bus at 33/66. I wonder if this means the PCI bus is locked at the selected speeds or uses a divisor... not that it matters most likely as i can't find a thing on the web about modding that board.

Well if you want to go anther route, you could pick an Abit VP6 for a decent price and you could then OC them suckers till they bleed. I know this dosent help your situation but I just thought Id throw it out.

dustybyrd said:
if you had an Iwill dual tualatin board, with the right PCI devices, you might be able to get ~1410mhz at 8.5x166 or at least 8.5x150 with the MSI or Iwill tualatin mobos..
I was able to run the MSI dual DDR board at 160 MHz with a pair of 1.26/512K Engineering samples. My components were OK with the out-of-spec AGP and PCI clocks but many other HDs, PCI card. stc. might not be. The MSI board needs a socket u-wire mod to get the Vcore up though.

So my only route to overclocked P3s is a new mobo? that would be really unfortunate, i like the tyan, it's got SCSI, dual LAN, dual 64-bit PCI slots... Anyone with an alternative? i'm not opposed to soldering bits to my board if required.

DaveB said:
I was able to run the MSI dual DDR board at 160 MHz with a pair of 1.26/512K Engineering samples. My components were OK with the out-of-spec AGP and PCI clocks but many other HDs, PCI card. stc. might not be. The MSI board needs a socket u-wire mod to get the Vcore up though.

i, too did the socket mod with the MSI mobo to get higher Vcore (i think 1.65?)...and i could run 162mhz with that board, although the hard drives didn't always like the high pci bus...

the tyan board has so many goodies on it, do you really need more CPU speed more than those goodies?

I ran the Iwill DDR board at 150Mhz with a pair of 1.26s at 1.42Ghz. I was running a SCSI controller that refused to POST higher. I did run the 1.26s at 160Mhz FSB/1.52Ghz on some MSI and Asus single processor boards. The best part was the lack of thermal issues.

I'd have to agree, how much more speed would you need?

do you really need more CPU speed more than those goodies?
how much more speed would you need?

Well, i don't actually NEED much speed at all. this machine will take over from an older box for compiling/development, also ftp, web, SAMBA storage server and general linux box. I reckon just one of those processors would be fine lol especially since i'm gonna be running a text console 99% of the time. I was just interested in the idea that for next to no cash ( processors were £16 each! ) i could beat my expensive overclocked athlon box.. in MIPS at least. Oh well. These, along with the 10k SCSI should give me plenty of responsiveness even if it's pushing a few big files and making database querys while i'm working.

Quote:

Quote:

Ummmmm, Isn't this Overclockers Forums.com? :)

turd said:
Quote:

Quote:

Ummmmm, Isn't this Overclockers Forums.com? :)

true, and more speed is always nice :D

but in this case, he said he likes all the onboard goodies (and scsi can provide nice speed as well)....so if he already has this board, i figure it may not be worth it to get a different one that allows for more chip overclocking but less onboard features...

Back