• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wireless Connectivity.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hamspiced

I installed a netgear wireless G router in her house and it seems she is consistantly getting disconnected while on her laptop just upstairs..

Are there such things as signal booster for it? or even an idea of what i can do to make the signal stronger???

is she using the XP wireless zero config?

if she is, i recommend you use the utility included with the netgear if it comes with one and not to use the XP one, as it constantly searches for networks, which may explain why she is being disconnected.

I highly doubt that it is disconnecting because of poor signal, unless she has solid concrete floors about 5 feet thick.

Know Nuttin said:
is she using the XP wireless zero config?

if she is, i recommend you use the utility included with the netgear if it comes with one and not to use the XP one, as it constantly searches for networks, which may explain why she is being disconnected.

I highly doubt that it is disconnecting because of poor signal, unless she has solid concrete floors about 5 feet thick.

shes using xp's one only because shes connecting with her Laptop and there isnt any other software because the laptop has built in wireless...

You can connect to the network using XP's wireless config. After it connects, go back and turn off XP's wireless config (right click on the connection, properties, Wireless networks tab, uncheck Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings). Then it will not try to connect to any other network and will stay connected until you reboot.
You will have to redo it everytime you reboot, but it still works. It is what I do.

I've used the XP tool alot when i connect wireless in school because my laptop has built in wireless, what you have to do is set the priority of the connection, set the one that's yours to the highest possition, and it won't switch to another connection even if it found a couple more.

warlock110 said:
I've used the XP tool alot when i connect wireless in school because my laptop has built in wireless, what you have to do is set the priority of the connection, set the one that's yours to the highest possition, and it won't switch to another connection even if it found a couple more.

that would work... but thats the only wireless connection...

Should i add a few bogus ones there?

Also... is ther ea thirdparty wireless configuration utilities i could use besides XP's?

Signal loss isnt a problem its just that it is consistantly disconnecting and reconnecting.

what laptop?

most times, the manufacturers will also have one. I have a dlink PCMCIA card but use the Atheros utility since that is who makes the chipset.

Know Nuttin said:
what laptop?

most times, the manufacturers will also have one. I have a dlink PCMCIA card but use the Atheros utility since that is who makes the chipset.

its an HP laptop

with Centrino technology?

I've got a dell here that does not use the XP config but has it's own and it works great without dropping.

have you tried Intel for this utility? I dont' believe it is Dell specific but if you want, the model is for the Inspiron 9200.

Know Nuttin said:
oops. well, you didn't give me much info to go on either though ;)

Can you get more specifics on the network card and post them?

Hp Pavillion ze4800

If it's a built-in wireless network card, try this one.
go to Network connections - wireless network - properties - authentication
and UNCHECK the "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network."

I got this disconnected problem before when I tried to access wireless network
in my school, but after I did this, it wont disconnected unless there's something
wrong w/ school's network or router.

Back