• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Joining the dark side - somewhat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.Guvernment

Hey all - got some system iam going to put to fold for team32

now i am following this

The Ultimate FAH Install Guide

in the client.cfg under username it says

[settings]
username=Wedo
team=32

so i just leave it like that to fold for team 32?

Or you could change the name to PMSfishy and fold for us in the race against the AMD side of the forums.... we need every bit of mhz to help us win this.

There's a link in my sig on it :)

^^^ did that :D heheh - tomorrow may throw it on some other computer that are currently doing BOINC - but it is hard to watch your rank 17 in the team go down and down and down

I have a question about folding under slackware...

I got the folding@home version for linux, but it doesn't tell me what frames it's completed like the console windows one does.. Is that supposed to do that? It just says "Completed 0 out of 25000000 Steps (0%)" ... and that's where it sits.

Is that something normal? (Never folded under linux.)

It should keep it updated like the Windows version does. Last I saw, the Linux version is slower than the Windows one, so it may be taking a while to get to the next frame.

Mr.Guvernment said:
Hey all - got some system iam going to put to fold for team32

now i am following this

The Ultimate FAH Install Guide

in the client.cfg under username it says

[settings]
username=Wedo
team=32

so i just leave it like that to fold for team 32?

awww, why is that the dark side? are you a seti guy?

hehe 0 yes i was / am a seti / boinc guy :d but i am becomng smarter in that i think the possibility of finding cures for today problems is more important that finding little green men :D

My friend was trying to convince me that SETI was better than Folding... But I can't see myself discerning radio waves for the search of galactic communication and thinking that's more important than curing, or possibly slowing horrendous diseases. But that's just my way of thinking, I guess.

Mr.Guvernment said:
hehe 0 yes i was / am a seti / boinc guy :d but i am becomng smarter in that i think the possibility of finding cures for today problems is more important that finding little green men :D

yeah I did a couple seti units and moved on for the same reason. Welcome!

yeah - but think - what happens if man cures these killer disease? how fast till the world is FURTHER over populated?

i always saw disease and natural disasters as the worlds way of keeping our numbers at a good level - even though we have already over populated the world.

You're also an advocate of Soylent Green, I'd bet. ;-)

Although I don't necessarily disagree with your opinions of disease.. There are some that shouldn't be out there.. But also on the same note, once those diseases are gone, whose to say something bigger and badder won't work itself out?

What if these that we're trying to cure are only precursors to worse?

But here's the clincher. How long do you plan on living? Because I don't think we'll honestly be out of room for another few hundred, or maybe a thousand years. By that time, we'll already be populating other habitable planets.

dvocate of Soylent Green - never heard of it.

As for "should never be out there" Yes, well any disease that was directly created BY man, no they should not, but most disease are naturally made.

If you didnt know Elric - this earth is ALREADY over populated - it is not a matter of just being out of land to live on - it is the problem there are too many people using too many of the worlds resouces too rapidly they can not replenish and in the end - we will have nothing and die.

Soylent Green. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_green

And I know it's not a matter of land to live on. But you also have to understand that the US government PAYS farmers to burn their crops...

And other little things like that irk me too. We have the resources, we just don't USE them to their full extents.

As for running out of them... Like I said, another few hundred, or thousand years from now, and it will be a serious concern. For now, noone is concerned with it, because noone has to be.

Therein lies the mistake.

Elric said:
By that time, we'll already be populating other habitable planets.

I hope we can get over the hatred and distrust of each other, to possibly, make this happen.

Mr.Guvernment said:
i always saw disease and natural disasters as the worlds way of keeping our numbers at a good level - even though we have already over populated the world.

If the new bird flu becomes "H1" with anything near the predicted 73% mortality rate it may not be so over populated.......then again it may not happen.

I know places like Japans population are actually going down. Because it cost to much to raise a kid over there so its avarege is like 1.5 kids per family. These kids also all move to the city so citys population going way up while rural areas goes down. As for over population I think the man concern is resources to manage every one. Though by the time it happens we should have soke solution worked out. (I hope)

^^
:)

As for running out of them... Like I said, another few hundred, or thousand years from now, and it will be a serious concern. For now, noone is concerned with it, because noone has to be.

From all i have read and been told with in 10-20 years we could be out of resources, such as Oil, natural gas at the rate we are burning it.

Not to metion they "say" that possibly if we do not so something about the green house gas with in 10 years, then there is no turning back and we better get to mars fast :sd

but again - it is all just "say"

Back