• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Page fiel deletion? Mandrake

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tenchi86

Ok well when setting up mandrake in a stupid move(it was after 4 am) I told it to delete the page file every shutdown. I relieze now this was stupid because I only use like maybe 6 programs uselly any way so them being saved would help me. So I was wondering how do I tell it to not delete the page file? Incase you needed to know Yes I am a first time linux user and finding my computer is a hard task for me haha.

Page file? I haven't used mandrake in a while, but I thought it used a seperate partition for swap space. Where did you tell it to do this? I assume there is some sort of "control center," have you looked for the setting there?

edit: if you have a decent amount of ram, linux will hardly ever swap anthing out.

Mandrake uses a swap partition only if you set one up; otherwise it will create a swap file. There should be an option in the Mandrake Control Center somewhere. Linux also hardly ever swaps anything (as said above). I have 4KB of my swap partition used, and not all of my RAM used.

tenchi86 said:
Oh ok, maybe it was from being tired but it semes I am getting windows and linux mixed up.

Get some sleep and walk away from your pc. There is no page file in Linux or an option to delete it, it is a partition on your HD in in linux.

jajmon said:
Get some sleep and walk away from your pc. There is no page file in Linux or an option to delete it, it is a partition on your HD in in linux.
Linux can be setup to use swap files. It is not really used, but there is the option. It usually has lower performance than a partition though.

Back