• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any ideas for cooling ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
OK, so the TwinMos ram with the winbond UTT chips is coming in the mail in a few days. I plan to use 3.5v on the ram with a DDR Booster. I hear this stuff can do nearly 275mhz at 2-2-2 with that voltage. Anyway, how the heck do I keep this stuff cool? Does anyone have any ideas of where to mount a fan to blow on the ram? I have a feeling that a 4 dollar heatspreader is not going to be enough!

-Collin-

've seen a few ways of doing it, some people use rubber bands yo hold a fan over the RAM, however those have lifespan problems. the best one i've seen used sections of a wire coathanger cut to length and best so that it held the fan directly over the RAM, same principle as with the rubbewr bans but the life span makes it worth the additional effort

That is sort of like what I was thinking of doing. I was going to just cut a piece of sheet metal so that a fan can sit right over the ram and blow on it. Do you think I'll need some insanely high powered fan, or will a "normal" fan work out?

-Collin-

that really depend on your system, just build it so you can change the fan if you find the performance isn't optimal. plus some sort of low profile ramsinks might help

Mod the side of your case with a cutout to house a fan that will blow directly over the location of the ram along with some ramsinks attached to the ram to aid in additional heat dissapation. It would be a cool mod, and not as ghetto as a some cut up sheet metal or wire coathangers.

Ir192 said:
Mod the side of your case with a cutout to house a fan that will blow directly over the location of the ram along with some ramsinks attached to the ram to aid in additional heat dissapation. It would be a cool mod, and not as ghetto as a some cut up sheet metal or wire coathangers.

Hmmm, it's a clear side cover made of plastic. I can;t really cut that and mount a fan. Any other ideas? Also, I was thinking I would just leave the memory uncovered by heatspreaders.

-Collin0

Awesome! What if it falls off though? :(

I have the old 70mm fan off my retail AMD heatsink that is pretty good. Nice and quiet and easy to fit in small spaces. Hmm, sounds like my girlfriend! :D lol

-Collin-

Take off the silly heatspreaders and use a fan. Instead of TIM pad, many
heatspreaders use regular sticky tape which acts as an insulator. :eek:

Naked RAM rules. :D

Susquehannock said:
Take off the silly heatspreaders and use a fan. Instead of TIM pad, many
heatspreaders use regular sticky tape which acts as an insulator. :eek:

Naked RAM rules. :D
yeah, i took off my spreaders yesterday :) now my ram can breathe. and im pretty sure it runs cooler.
heatspreaders suck

Ninja, is that your girl in your avatar? But yeah, the tape won't fall off. It's like superglue tape. I had to use a knife to pull it off of my case once.

Here is my RAM cooler. A Ducted Tornado that blows over the RAM. It Blows about 120 CFM right over the RAM Banks.

Pics_003.jpg

I like the hair..... looks good on her.

Electron, only you would use a Tornado to cool ram lol :D I had to get rid of mine. I just couldn't take the noise anymore. Just bought a Delta that put out just about as much air but is like 10 dB quiter lol

OK, well here is my latest. I just jammed a 70mm fan into the Rails that hold the PSU. Not bad. It is cooling my patriot xbl till my twinmos comes!

DSCF0045.JPG

-Collin-

Any my next attempt. I like this one better. The fan is totally secure and doesn't budge at all thanks to 4 zip ties.

DSCF0046.JPG

Here's my sorry attempt, any other ideas for someone without the rail??? I'm afraid I'm going to bump my case and it'll fall off... My other ideas were: 1. superglue/glue/tape to the backside of the case, 2. set a fan below the cd drives, though it's 4 inches from the 3rd ram slot and positioned kinda at the top of the slots, 3. cut a freckin 120mm whole in the top of my case, 4. screw the fans and see how long the ram lasts (I'm getting the same ram as NinjaZX6R - who happens to be my cousin!!)

RamFan.jpg

Ya know....if you AREN'T going to get a DDR Booster, you can EASILY stick on a 40mm fan to the ram. Just a thought. See you tomorrow bro!!!!

-Collin-

enduro said:
Electron, only you would use a Tornado to cool ram lol :D I had to get rid of mine. I just couldn't take the noise anymore. Just bought a Delta that put out just about as much air but is like 10 dB quiter lol

LOL, Yeah OK so it is a little Overkill. But you know me. If I can't hear it running it must not be cooling. I can barely hear it. My CPU fan drowns it out :burn:

NinjaZX6R said:
Any my next attempt. I like this one better. The fan is totally secure and doesn't budge at all thanks to 4 zip ties.

DSCF0046.JPG

I like that setup it is very nice that TT SFII should do the job nicely.

As for your Cuz.

CTrinali, You could make an angle bracket that would screw to the MB tray and screw to the bottom 2 holes on the fan.

Back