• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

recommendations for wireless router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azianese

i have a linksys router (befsr41) right now but i want to upgrade to a wireless setup. i'm thinking about getting the linksys wrt54gs router. would it be worth it to get the wrt54gs or should i just get the wrt54g? also how many connections can you share with this router? i need 2 connections running from cat5 cable and at least 1 for wireless. does this router have WPA-PSK for protection or only wep, and is that good enough? can this router use 802.11a or b? i'm guessing 802.11g is the best? will i have any problems with my 2.4ghz phone? will this router work good through walls because i live in an apartment complex and i want to share internet connections with my brother living next door. are there any other routers you guys would recommend besides this one? and what kind of wireless nic would you guys recommend? are any of those signal boosters worth getting? thanks

Depends on how much you want to spend, but your pretty safe getting from Linksys, DLink, or Netgear, though with my Netgear router I have found that I occasionally lose signal strength, but that may be to the fact that their are like 10 other wireless networks in my apartment complex. As for not sharing connections you can encrypt your wirelss network so I would look for routers with WPA (best) or WEP (good) encryption features. I have my eye on this Router from D-Link. It's suppose to be optimized for gaming.

oh yea the router also has to work well with my linksys befcmu10 cable modem. wow that d-link router costs a lot more compared to the wrt45gs, i'm not too sure about that d-link router with only 1 review but price doesnt really matter but the cheaper the price the better i guess

signal boosters aren't required unless you start dropping connections. No point in buying them unless you really need one.

right now 802.11g is the best. 802.11b is compatible. 802.11a is not but don't worry about it as it has such limited range when obstacles are present, it's not worth it.

wrt54g should be fine.

Don't expect true 54mbps though. I have full signal strength and only move about 2-2.5MB/sec across the WLAN.

Go with the wrt54g unless you do a lot of big file transfers wirelessly between computers then get the S model. The newest firmware from linksys offers some great options like QOS (bandwidth management) or you can get the Sveasoft firmware which gives you many more options for it even increasing the signal strength.

Back