• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Scsi Question NOT IN 101

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bla403

Registered
When booting up my adapter 19160, latest bios, says my 2 drives listed in my sig are both sync 40, bus 8. What does that exactly mean? I am wondering since I am not getting the transfer rates I should be getting in Sandra. I am like 15 MB/s lower then the listed U160,U320 drives and Im wondering if my scsi card config is the problem.

There are a few likely causes for incorrect synch rates. The first thing to check is that the cables are properly connected and terminated. Also, check that both are rated for at least U160 mode. Some resellers are marketing UW80 cables as U160. Make sure that the jumpers on the drives are not set to force SE mode. Finally, check the controller's BIOS and ensure that U160 modes are available. If all else fails, try the drives one at a time to see if one is forcing a mode change.

Usually, it's a cabling issue and can easily be resolved.

bla403 said:
When booting up my adapter 19160, latest bios, says my 2 drives listed in my sig are both sync 40, bus 8. What does that exactly mean? I am wondering since I am not getting the transfer rates I should be getting in Sandra. I am like 15 MB/s lower then the listed U160,U320 drives and Im wondering if my scsi card config is the problem.

Presumably Sync 40 means synchronous transfers with a 40 mhz clock, which doesn't really tell you for sure what operating speed you're getting. Ultra3 aka Ultra160 and Ultra 2 Wide both use this clock speed. You could be getting anywhere from 40 mb/s <unlikely as most U160 and newer drives dont support non-LVD operation> to 160 mb/s. It's possible you're being limited to the Ultra2Wide speed of 80 mb/s, though it shouldnt be much of a hit except in burst transfers. Bus 8 just refers to the logical "connection point". Have you looked around in the SCSI card bios? There should be a key combo you can hit to bring up settings for the card. Also in Sandra you may be able to see what interface the card is operating on.

Xaotic said:
There are a few likely causes for incorrect synch rates. The first thing to check is that the cables are properly connected and terminated. Also, check that both are rated for at least U160 mode. Some resellers are marketing UW80 cables as U160. Make sure that the jumpers on the drives are not set to force SE mode. Finally, check the controller's BIOS and ensure that U160 modes are available. If all else fails, try the drives one at a time to see if one is forcing a mode change.

Usually, it's a cabling issue and can easily be resolved.
Abosultly i have a 29160 in my wifes machine and i was getting sync 80 when i did not turn on terminate power on my Fujitsu 36.7 10k rpm 68pin U160. :mad: But i would get 160 sync with a terminator.But i need both connectors on my rounded two device 68pin SCSI cable.After doing some reading and downloading the manual for my drive from the manufaturer changed jumper setting on the bottom of the drive and everything was beautiful :clap: Card on slot 3 device 0 sync 160 16 bit.Good Luck.

MassRaptor

Back