• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How fast?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gala

Registered
Heatsink fan speed???

Sorry if this is not the right forum but I have become stumped with a problem and am desperately seeking answers. How fast is a stock heatsink fan on a 2.8c processor supposed to be running?

I am experiencing a multitude of unexplainable problems with the computer and have taken to temporarily storing the damn thing in a closet.

-Seemingly random reboots.
-Strings of MULTIPLE (up to 50 in a row) reboots during boot process.
-Errors indicating CPU failure upon loading the OS.

Here's the weird part: if I leave it off for a couple days, it boots up fine. It runs fine. It plays games fine. It runs TOTALLY NORMAL until I leave it alone for a while. When I try to bring it back from Power Save mode (which I haven't bothered trying to disable yet), my screen remains black but the computer seems to be active.

I've checked the power supply, reloaded the OS, and everything I can really think of... so I'm wondering if somehow my computer with eight case fans, a system blower, and what I believe to be a perfectly fine heatsink/fan is not getting enough cooling where it's needed. I'll be checking later today exactly how many RPM's the fan is running at, etc. if it makes a difference; I would love to hear any suggestions as to what else could be happening.

I originally believed it was the power supply because when coming back to the computer, and also some times when turning it on, the hard drive would become active but the video card would fail to respond and I could see nothing. Since I have a power-demanding video card (9800 pro) I figured it was worth a try... but I've ruled out the power supply and I've been using that video card in my older computer for weeks since running into these problems.

Any suggestions? Thanks...

Last edited:
It could be a heap of things, PSU, CPU, RAM, mobo. If you've reinstalled the OS, then it's probably not Windows. How did you "rule out" the PSU? Did you swap in a new one?

Well, you've got a 480W Antec PSU so you shouldn't be having any problems with your PSU supplying enough power, you don't have enough components to draw more power than it supplies IMO.

Try running Memtest86 and seeing if you have a bad stick of memory..... I had one a while back and it caused me no end of problems, I had to totally reinstall the OS to recover from the data corruption it caused.

What are your temps like? Try running Prime95 and tell us what your full load temps are..... if they're higher than 60-65°C load, then it might be your cpu temps that are causing the reboots.

Back