• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OK I am a DOPE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeerCan

I have 2 sticks of the good twinmos memory that I ordered so I thought I would see what these babies could do. So I get a OCZ ddr booster to up my vdimm. Well booster only fits in slot 4 on my abit with an xp-90. No proplem I say so I get it in and power up the rig. Hmm ddr booster has no display. I try and try again --- no display.
Then in a moment of SHEAR STUPIDITY I forgot my left from my right (damn meds :) ) and cranked the booster the wrong way. :bang head

The computer started alarming and I ripped the power out of the wall as fast as I could, but alas too late.

My poor board will only run in single channell mode now. If I put it in dual mode I get an alarm and an 04 on the display.

Question is did I fry my board or my CPU memory controller? Any Ideas? Please keep the laughter to a minimum :(

Ouch!

The "04" displayed...is that on the Booster or does your board have a diagnostics display? If it is on the Booster, try contacting one of the OCZ reps and see what they tell you. If on the mobo, then check the manual for an explanation of the codes.

First of all, and forgive me if it sounds so simple, did you clear CMOS and load optimized settings just to test everything out? If so, then...

Have you tried each stick alone to be sure that one did not get fried? If so, then...

Have you tried each of the memory slots, one at a time with just one stick to see if they are each working? If each works, then the problem should not be the board.

Can you borrow another cpu to test with? That would allow you to see whether or not yours is damaged.

Good luck and just be systematic in trying to determine the cause of your problems.

Laughing? Heck No! I'm in tears. I always cry at funerals, in particular when the young go before their time! Are you going to have an online wake? :bday:

04 is on the board diagnostics, its related to memory. I did clear the cmos and also tried different sticks and it was same results. 1 single stick works in every slot but if you want 2 sticks they have to be on seperate channels or the board alarms. Otherwise the comp boots fine and seems to be working ok. I am going to tryy and prime it later to see if it stays stable.

backup your data too if you have another box so if the memory is slowly killing the os you won't lose data too.

Back