• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800 Pro Thermal Compound question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

I just removed the HS from my ATI 9800 Pro.They used some silver based compund on the GPU(at least it was silver colored,so I am assuming its silver based). Anyway,I was using nail polish remover and q-tips to try to remove the compound....but all it did was smear all over the entire GPU.Do I need to clean this off,or will the card be safe if I dont? I am just wondering because there are circuits on the top of the GPU...and I didnt know if leaving the compound would destroy them because the compund would act as a conductor and do something to hurt my card.Thanks!

Well if it is real silver then you will want to get it off definitely.I use Ceramique because I'm sloppy too.
Maybe someone can tell you the best way to get it off.
GL.

stratcatprowlin said:
Well if it is real silver then you will want to get it off definitely.I use Ceramique because I'm sloppy too.
GL.
I would rather get the stuff off,and have always used acetone nail polish remover---but that just smears this stuff around....can someone suggest something else that wont damager the GPU?

Also---To install an Arctic Cooler(rev 3) ,do I need to remove the shim from the GPU,or is it safe to leave it on?

stratcatprowlin said:
GL.

I don't agree at all with your advise, there is no reason why a silver based TIM cannot be used on the core of the video card. Now for video card memory, Ceramique should be used.

PS the Thermal Paste on 9800Pros is not a silver paste, its dark grey and to the best of my knowledge it has zero AG in it. But like I said, even if it did, theres no reason it couldnt be used on the core, if the proper amount is used.

PS Clean off the smeared thermal grease with alcohol, its to bad because Arctic Silver has a product called arcticlean going on sale on the 15th, that leaves no residue. But just do the best you can with some alcohol or if you have it, acetone.

HeatM1ser2k4 said:
Also---To install an Arctic Cooler(rev 3) ,do I need to remove the shim from the GPU,or is it safe to leave it on?

You can leave the shim as on 9800's, the shim is slightly lower than the core. On some 9700's the shim was higher than the core and was best removed if adding a secondary heatsink aside from the manufacturers.

Silversinksam said:
I don't agree at all with your advise, there is no reason why a silver based TIM cannot be used on the core of the video card. Now for video card memory, Ceramique should be used.

PS the Thermal Paste on 9800Pros is not a silver paste, its dark grey and to the best of my knowledge it has zero AG in it. But like I said, even if it did, theres no reason it couldnt be used on the core, if the proper amount is used.

PS Clean off the smeared thermal grease with alcohol, its to bad because Arctic Silver has a product called arcticlean going on sale on the 15th, that leaves no residue. But just do the best you can with some alcohol or if you have it, acetone.

You can leave the shim as on 9800's, the shim is slightly lower than the core. On some 9700's the shim was higher than the core and was best removed if adding a secondary heatsink aside from the manufacturers.

Thanks alot!!!

The problem with the silver thermal grease used by ATI is that it smeared all over the GPU when I tried to remove it.The are little circuits or something like that soldered onto the top of the GPU all around the area the HS makes contact with.I was worried that the thermal compund wound act as a conductor and fry some of those circuits/capacitors or whatever they are called.Acetone did nothing but smear the stuf.I found a great home cleaning product from the dollar store that removed it so easily I cant even explain.Its called AWESOME,and comes ina round spray bottle(20 oz).The full name of it is LA's Totally AWESOME.Its green or yelow watery cleanser.Cost $1,and worked way better than anything else I tried...and its safe

I have another few questions about the Arctic Cooler Rev 3...but that should be a seperate post,I think.Thanks guys!

Silversinksam said:

Maybe I wasn't so clear but I don't think you got what I meant.
I was saying that if the TIM did have silver in it he should definitely get it off the Pcb.Not the core.So when I said I used Ceramique instead of silver it was because I would wind up getting it all over my pcb's too.

Back