• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thermalright vs thermalright

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

buckbadly

I'm looking at two different Thermalright heatsinks, the SI-97 and the SLK-800A. Which one would I see better results from. I'm leaning towards the SI-97. Also, is the 97 the one that takes a plate on the mobo or am I mistaken, I believe it just uses a clip like most coolers.

buckbadly said:
Also, is the 97 the one that takes a plate on the mobo or am I mistaken, I believe it just uses a clip like most coolers.
No you are correct the 97 does indeed use a backplate and is not clip on like the SI97

The ALX-800 is supposed to perform roughly the same as the SLK-800, but it's cheaper since its aluminum. That fan is great, but it's also very loud so you may want to look at a Panaflo L1J instead.

Thanks for the response :) Thats one thing that doesn't bother me, noise from my fans. I don't sleep by em so let em rip :clap: . Ok think I'm gonna go place my order, unless I hear otherwise in the next few minutes :)

Oh what TIM are you using? If you're not using AS5 then you should buy some with the order you're placing.

Yea I got AS5, now not sure if I want the ALX 800 or the SLK-700. Both look decent in reviews. The 700 is all copper as compared to al/copper with the 800, any thoughts? :-/

well just seen the 700 doesn't accept 80mm's

Think I'll just go with the SI-97 and the fan linked. Should provide some good results. Looks like I don't have any problems with board compatibility, so off to waste some money :D

Last edited:
SLK-700 will only use a 70mm fan, so your choices are somewhat limited. The ALX-800 is comparable to the SLK-800/900, but only if you use a loud high powered delta/tornado. The SI-97, AFAIK performs well only after you lap the base. Hope that helps.

I have seen that as well referring to the lapping, having never done it, nows as good a time as any to learn. ;)

Thanks guys for all your quick responses and input. Its a done deal 56.64 for the heatsink and fan. Can't wait to see how much better it cools then what I'm runnin. :clap:

I'm lookin forward to it :p I also got a few other things yesterday, this was a tax time upgrade I had in the works in another thread but I went with a few different parts then what I had listed in there. Just a few of the highlights of my day yesterday ;) http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=321014

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-968&depa=0

2X-http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-144-200&depa=0 ...I must of got the last 2 :p

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-114&depa=0 ...supposed to be ch-5, guess I'll see

among others, really looking forward to getting the vid card and playing around with that, I love my 9500, so it's really going to have to impress me :p

Thermalright heatsinks got progressively better, so I don't know why you've gone from looking at an SI-97 to an SLK700 vs an ALX800. The SI-97 is the one to get. Performance is only a couple degrees difference at most, but there's no question the SLK700 and ALX800 are at the bottom, then the SLK800 and 900, the SP97 and the SI-97 at the top (for Socket A). It's a marginal thing but if you're really interested in getting the best possible cooling, go with the SI-97. I don't know why there's any debate anyway. It's cheap, it's light and it's the best performer (for Socket A). And from what I've heard, because of it's design it's also quieter than the previous Thermalright heatsinks, but that's not a primary concern for you I suppose. Go with the SI-97 and slap on a Vantec Tornado. You won't regret it.

Alacritan... thanks for the suggestions.
Thanks guys for all your quick responses and input. Its a done deal 56.64 for the heatsink and fan. Can't wait to see how much better it cools then what I'm runnin.

guess I should of mentioned that was for the SI-97 and the fan I linked further up :) Lookin forward to getting it :clap:

Man...I wish you had been around Friday night....I already placed my orders :bang head

Back