• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC shutting itself down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vega

Registered
Hi guys,

Not sure where else to post this so its gone here :)

Last night, and once when I built the machine, it made a two tone alarm noise, quite loud, then shut itself down without any warning. The alarm noise continues to sound until the mains supply is ditched.

The machine has only been built for media centre, but I do use it now and then for CS. The highest temp I have seen the CPU at is when playing CS, 55C. It is not overclocked.

The main spec is

AMD 3200+ Barton
Abit NF7-S2G nForce2
512 Corsair
Asus V9570GE GeForce FX 5700LE 256MB
Enermax Noisetaker 485 W
Coolermaster Wavemaster case

Any ideas? I know that that sort of CPU temp is a bit high, but the machine is very rarely stressed, and where it is situated next to the TV, there is little chance of improving the cooling. Somehow I don't think this is cooling related though?

I have now, and there is no mention of anything like that. There is only mention of setting the warning temperature and shutdown temperature, which i can confirm is at 66ºC and 70ºC respectively.

My system seems to idle at around 45ºC btw.

when i have a problem i can't figure out i unplug everything (including reseating the cpu), then plug in just the bare essentials to boot. then if it still doesn't work i switch components out one at a time till i find a faulty component or otherwise fix teh problem

Subtotal's system is also the same methodology I utilize when trying to figure out what is up with my computer system. It's a proven system. :)

allso, check the basics... all the screws tight? all the cables in? etc... sounds electrical...maybe grounding issues?

Back