• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning up..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

musawi

I just want to clear up things. I just got my AS5 today and if I want to put it onto my processor I need to clean the processor from the old stuff right?

I have got some alchohol but do I just put some alchohol on the processor's heat spreader thing. I am not confident putting liquid over electrical components so can some one tell me what the deal is?

Use the alcohol to wet, preferably, a soft lint free cloth, but a paper towel will work. Then LIGHTLY wipe the old TIM off, changing parts of the cloth so that you're always using a clean part. The cloth shouldn't be dripping but it should be wet enough that the alcohol can do its job. And, don't put a lot of pressure on the chip because that could damage it. Let the alcohol do the work.

If possible, leave the processor on the motherboard so that you're less likely to damage it, but if you've got a real mess from the old TIM you might have to remove it to clean everything out, just be careful with the pins.

Once everything is clean, apply the AS5 according to the directions on the Arctic Silver site: http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

musawi said:
Ok Alcohol touching electrical components is fine?

Sure. Water touching electrical components is fine too. Electrical components dripping in water is bad.....

Dampen cloth with alcohol and wipe the old away - it will be fine.

Unless you're using a lot, it shouldn't take more than a minute. Just look at it, if you see a shiny film, it's still wet, if you don't see a shiny film, it's dry. Clean the chip first, then prepare the HS per Arctic Silver's instructions. By the time the HS is prepared and ready to be attached everything will be dry.

Does it have to be 90% isophyrol alchohol or cna it be ethanol or say 70% conecntrated alcohol ? Does it make a difference?

Lol, I was just saying the samething to myself. I did on my 2.4b and it worked quite well. Although there is some stuck in that small hole in the processor. Does it matter?

musawi said:
Lol, I was just saying the samething to myself. I did on my 2.4b and it worked quite well. Although there is some stuck in that small hole in the processor. Does it matter?

No, that small hole is unimportant in the whole realm of things. If you want to try and get it out use the end of a paperclip or something.....

If it aint important then I won't do anything to it..

Alright thanks guys. Got a biology test tommorow so I am off to revise and I will do this tommorow with some results.

Finally done it, I am getting same temps. Hmm..
What could the problem be?

Should I wait for it to "settle" or add a tad more?

Last edited:
to clear it up (again maybe) using any liquid is ok as long as the cpu or any device u use is not running.. alcohol and fast evaporating liquids are used for cleaning cuz they are very good organic solvent which is essential for removing organic dirt.. and most importantly becuz its evaporates very fast (@16c).. of course dont use water cuz it takes very long time to make sure nothing's left of it..

it once happened that my mobile fell in the bathroom cabinet (yuuukkk!!).. got some gloves on removed battery at once and washed it with water and alcohol then water then alcohol (lol) until it was brand new.. then i used a hair dryer for long hours on low temp to dry it (needed lotsa patience).. then finally i left it in the sun for afew days (indoors not outdoors) and done a last hair drying course..

and it worked fine :)

I read that SSS before applying.

CS: Source is starting to crash. I am getting annoyed and worried

Back