• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help for External Box Cooling!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCS911

I never build external box to cool my PC before but now I'm thinking of building one and have few questions I'd like to know. Mostly I want everything in one big foam box and my questions are: Is there specific PSU for it since I can jump start but I don't want to do that, and should I use two Fedco HeaterCore or one huge single pass HeaterCore which is cool better? thanks for helping!

If I was ever to do an external setup again (went back to internal for the convience factor) I would try and use all AC components, and on the plumbing side would install quick disconnects between the comp and the box - the ones that auto shut off when you undo them.

I currently have an external box that I designed and built to be more mobile than some of the other ideas people have used. (Pics here). As you can see from the pics I used the quick disconnects...although they're 3/8" and I had to have a mess with convert it from 1/2" outside both cases and keep it from leaking. They do reduce flow pretty bad. The thing that bugs me most is that although I have a pretty quiet fan, it's amplified by that box. Even at it's lowest speed which is close to silent normally (it's adjustable)...it is very audible.

To handle the fan I just threw a relay into the box and ran what was left of my pumps power cord (after it was cut off) and wired it up to the back of my case so that it could get the power for the relay/fan - and give me RPM monitoring :D

While it can be easily disconnected and moved ... it's still a great deal of work hauling that thing to a LAN party...That's why I'm now opting (more than a year and a half later) to move it all back into my case.

I've decided that unless you're leaving your PC in one place all the time, not going to LAN parties or whatnot...then external watercooling just isn't a great idea.

12v PSU's are fairly cheap, a pump and a couple of fans shouldn't draw more than 6 amps. Too Easy.

Rule of thumb for rads: More surface area is better, though if the single pass is slighly smaler, i would still get that, single pass is more effective than >1 pass.

psu for what? if you run an AC pump then just get a connector. if you have a dc pump and/or fans then just create a molex connection you run with the tubing.

Back