• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would copper barbs crack a hydor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duke3d87

I just went out and bought a 5/8" threaded to 1/2" barbed copper barb for my hydor L35. The guy at Lowes claimed that the copper barb wouldnt crack the hydor, but i have reservateions. Would the copper barb crack the output of the pump?

The copper barb will be fine, provided of course that the threads match and that it is not overtightened when you install it... That said, it may be better to screw the barb in as well as you can with handtighening and then seal the barb up with Goop or whatever sealant you use.

Nylon or poly barbs would be the best to use, though... just to be safe ;)

BTW... are you sure that your barb is copper and not brass??

what about using plumbers tape instead of the goop? I never did use goop except for one time. I dont know if its copper or brass. it doesnt say

It should be fine as long as the threaded part isnt too big and you dont tighten it too much. The tape should do as well although something such as jbweld or a silicone would be better.

I just fitted it. I'm worried about over tightening it, but it think its fine. The L35 can hold the barb perfectly. I put like 6 layers of plumbers tape and it while its tight, its not extremely tight. I think this is going to finally turn out well!

Last edited:
You don't need more than 2 layers of tape to get a good seal. In fact the increased diameter of the barb due to the tape could cause the housing to crack. Just a warning.

Thanks to all who answered. I talked to ZachM and he said that going to 5/8" wont do much. Plus, i have softer tubing thats 1/2" as opposed to my hard 5/8" tubing...i also finally have a TLINE!!! I used to use a y line from Xoxide

Ok Another quetstion. My pump rattles. Its three feet away and my pc (loud one) is off. Is that really bad? I hear that pumps rattle every now and then

Back