• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! How to mod a ATX PSU so it can be turned on by a toggle switch?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FuzzyNY

Registered
I plan to use a 12V 12A ATX power supply to power a 152W peliter, does anyone know/info about how to mod a ATX PSU so it can be turned on by a toggle switch? any I heard that you have to do something with the 5V line in order to get full 12V, does anyone know what to do too? Thanks

Fuzz

by conectiing the green cable to any ground you will be able to get the psu to switch on.

buy puting a switch on this you can switch the pelties on and off.

however if you are going have it cooling down your cpu i sugest that you have it conected to be on all the time and only can be switched off but a centrall mains power switch this would then make it imposible for you to switch on your pc without the peltier coming on as well. i will be using this method when i use water cooling.

it works! Thx a lot!
by the wat do you know what should I do to the 5V line in order to get full 12V from the 12V line? Have you heard that?

Nevermind, just in case someone have the same question you need to put a ~50W resistor connect to the 5V line in order to get full 12V, but I think that just waste the power and rise the temperature a bit, so I am gonna attach some 'dummy' fans to the 5V line

fuzz

If all you want its a switch you can just do what chilledout said , get a bypass switch an connect 1 cable to the greem and the otherone to any black cable from the PS ;)

Back