• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with slot a athlon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZenithsPinnacle

I have a bad heat problem (68c) and want to put in a new heatsink. When I opened my computer to check it out, I had a big black, rectangular monster looking at me! My friend informed me that I have a slot a processor and what I saw him install in a friends computer was a socket a (thin, small and square).
I am not sure if the "black rectangle" is a case, with the cpu and hs inside, or what. I think need to change the heatsink, but I don't know how to remove the cpu or case(whatever it may be). Can anyone tell me how to remove it and give an example of a good(affordable) heatsink?

What I used...

What I used in my Slot A TBird system (now dead) :( Was an Alpha P7125. It cost me 45 bucks with the dual sunons, which are only 27 cfm a piece, but are quiet and cheap. They wanted 55 for the same HS with dual 38cfm Deltas, which are loud as hell. I was quiet content with the heatsink (even though I was only running .05v higher vcore and only 200mhz more overclock 700@900). Lets just say it wasnt the reason it died. :)
Lucifer

.. AE 86 .. said:
FOP 38
global win

quite good

He has a slot A processor... an FOP38 will not fit.

I'd recommend a Globalwin VOS32..... the P7125 is great also. I'm not sure about how to um-mount a slot A HSF.... A friend of mine did it and it didnt look too hard....

I'd look in to some case cooling as well. The cooler the air in your case, the cooler the processor will be.

SickBoy

I use a Vos 32 for some time now, and after a good lapping it cools very, very well. It´keeps my Slot A with 0.45 increased V at 39 degrees. I simply love that thing.

Slot A HSF are generally attached to the aluminium backplate of the Chip by some kind of clip, which is attached to some holes in the backplate. You might have to push down the clips to losen them from the backplate, but depends on the HS.

<===That´s the Global Win VOS 32 by the way

Thanks for the help

I'd like to thank everyone that has helped me with their advice and hope to one day return the favor as I learn more. I will be fiddling with my comp later today and will look up the Global Win VOS 32. Thanks again for all the help.

Back