• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Klipsch GMX 5.1's and new DFI Nforce 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

superdaveviii

Ok, I'm not a huge audiophile, infact I really don't know a whole lot about audio equipment. CPU's, RAM, and video cards are my meat'n'taters ;)

Anyways, for the last 2 years I've been using an Abit NF-7s 2.0 and some Klipsch Promedia GMX 5.1 speakers. They haven't done me wrong. However, in building my new system with the new Nforce 4 DFI board, I noticed it does not have the digital optical S/PDIF out as the Nforce 2 chipsets had with the Soundstorm.

And from what I have read, the Audigy cards don't reproduce a proper 5.1 enviroment (in games with EAX at least as I understand it) unless you use the analog connectors, which the Klipsch GMX series lacks.

So, what would be my cheapest option to get proper 5.1/EAX output? The little Klipsch pre-amp/decoder/whatever thing has an optical in, coax in, and a L/R analog in. If I find a sound card that properly uses one of these inputs, can I avoid the whole Audigy/GMX/EAX fiasco while getting/keeping true 5.1 and EAX 1/2/3/4/whatever support?

EDIT: Like this?

M-AUDIO 7.1 Channel PCI Sound Card, Model "Revolution 7.1" -RETAIL
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=29-121-101&depa=0

I think that has the digital coaxial oupout, that would go into the coax in on the Klipsch box?

Turtle Beach 7.1-Channel PCI Sound Card, Model "CATALINA"
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-118-106&depa=0

This only supports EAX 2, aren't they up to like 4 now? =/

Last edited:
I'd hope so for the price ;)

But will it have the same problem with 3d sound/EAX in games like the Audigy's do with my speakers, since they only have digital inputs and no analog?

Yeah, saw that when the MoBo came today. I've just read about problems people have had with EAX support trying to use connections other then the 3 analog connections found on the Audigy's. The rest of the PC arrives tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out then :)

Back