• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 SATA HD's how many page files?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ir192

I have done a search on the site and did some reading of ARP's "Virtual Memory Optimization Guide" but I didn't see a direct reference to the advantages or disadvantages of 2 permanent and contiguous paging files on 2 seperate HDs.

I understand from my interpretation that 2 permanent and contiguous pagefiles on seperate HDs would be better than 1 if you had 3 HDs. But what I am asking is do I want to only have only 1 pagefile on the first partition of my secondary SATA HD and leave the Primary HD without a paging file so the OS has access to the outter tracks. Here is the page where I am finding difficulty in interpreting what would be best to do in my situation. I am thinking that I will want to have the pagefile on the secondary drive, but I don't have enough experience myself to know if this is correct or not.

I guess it should be mentioned also that my primary OS drive is a 74g Raptor and my secondary would be a 40g Caviar.

Put the page file on your secondary HD. It's noted in that article that you want to put the page file on a hd that has similar speeds as your main HD. Not sure what the specs are on that 40 gig caviar, but if it's 7200, 8mb, should be fine. I have my page file set up on a storage HD on an IDE interface. Using Sata interface is perfect because it can access both at the same time with no hiccup.

But, IMO, put it on that caviar & all should be ok. 700-800 should be a fair amount.

Back