• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is their a better fan than this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dbcalo

ok, right now i have a thermaltake silent boost k8 with a panaflo 40cmf on my amd64 2800+. i haven't been able to get it to cool very well. at 2.0ghz w/ 1.4 vcore it will put off 42 degrees celcius to 56 degrees celcius. is there a better fan that you can recommend to me? or do you think that the heatsink i bought is just not that great?

Sneaky said:
there are PLENTY of better fans out there - the only question then is, how much noise can you take? :beer:

im not a huge fan of extra noise. i put sound dampening material all over my case. i even put little strips of it on the slats in the front. anyway, the fan i have now only puts off about 32db, so i guess i could stand a bit more.

most of Tt's fans are just rebadged, but the silent boost purely sucks - if theres too much resistance from the heatsink fins, all the air just blows out the slots on the side of the fan :rolleyes:

and its been proven that fan adapters usually yeild worse performance than a fan of proportional performance of the correct size

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/van80tor.html

80mm sunon/vantec tornado fan - most powerful 12v DC 80mm fan known to the PC community - it moves ungodly amounts of air, but it also sounds like a vacuum from hell has been mounted inside your computer :attn:

SavageBasher said:
Right there is your problem, sir.

so the heatsink is so bad that extra cmf won't get the job done? if not what heatsinks do you recommend? i don't particularly want to spend $80 on a heatsink though.

i would suggest a better heatsink as well, the thermalright is OK, but still only has fins - check out the ThermalRight (NOT thermaltake) XP-90

it has heatpipes, so it cools better with less airflow than a heatsink with only fins

toss a decent 92mm fan on there and you have a damn good heatsink

my suggestion for a 92mm fan: http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa92hisp.html

so would any other heatsink with fins only perform similarly?

The quality measurement of a fan should not be how much air it can push...it should be it's airflow:noise ratio.

can you guys recommend a heatsink where i wouldn't have to replace the bracket?

also, if i went with the 120mm panaflo(86cmf) and the 80mm to 120mm it would most likely still cool better right?

Last edited:
no, do NOT get a fan adapter - they suck, and perform worse than a smaller fan with lower CFM (tests have proven this - there's a thread somewhere)

get the 80mm panaflo high-speed fan from sidewindercomputers.com, and keep your current heatsink - it'll yeld much better performance than with the Tt silent fan on it

Sneaky said:
no, do NOT get a fan adapter - they suck, and perform worse than a smaller fan with lower CFM (tests have proven this - there's a thread somewhere)

get the 80mm panaflo high-speed fan from sidewindercomputers.com, and keep your current heatsink - it'll yeld much better performance than with the Tt silent fan on it

right now there's a panaflo 40cmf fan on it.

That silent boost isn pretty good as heatsink. It comes with throw-me-away-and-forget fan, but Panaflo should do its job. So I'd suggest to clean it a bit, maybe reseat carefully with AS5.

Eventually, if eveyrthing fails, you may replace fan with something omre powerful. If noise doesn't satisfy you or simply you don't want to go that way - think about other heatsink, like XP-120, XP-90 or AC Freezer64. With Thermalright heatsinks you'd need to get a fan too.

Ven0m said:
That silent boost isn pretty good as heatsink. It comes with throw-me-away-and-forget fan, but Panaflo should do its job. So I'd suggest to clean it a bit, maybe reseat carefully with AS5.

Eventually, if eveyrthing fails, you may replace fan with something omre powerful. If noise doesn't satisfy you or simply you don't want to go that way - think about other heatsink, like XP-120, XP-90 or AC Freezer64. With Thermalright heatsinks you'd need to get a fan too.

right now i have AS ceramique. would there be an added benefit to AS5? what exactly can reseating it do?

Ceramique is very good too, my friend has it and uses with good results. In my opinion there's no reason to replace it.
Reseating - if you think you might place / mount not optimally, you might try to do this again. Sometimes, people use not enough or too much paste or put it in incorrect way, or mount heatsink in the way that paste makes bad contact. So if you've done it incorrectly, and do it properly next time, you may get better contact between CPU and heatsink. But if you've done it properly earlier, it won't help.
You could try some lapping with your heatsink too.

do you think an idle temp of 42 degrees and a load temp of 56 degrees is abnormal? what i mean is, would you expect them to be lower?

dbcalo said:
right now i have AS ceramique. would there be an added benefit to AS5? what exactly can reseating it do?

There is an extremely marginal benefit to AS5, especially if your heatsink is unlapped and has a rough bottom. But we're talking 1-2°C at most here. I went through a tube of Ceramique and just got a tube of AS5 today, and I don't see much difference, other than Ceramique being easier to put on. Also, Ceramique is an electrical insulator, meaning it is non-conductive, so if you make a mess with it and get it all over the place, it won't short anything out. But they're both very good IMO.

As far as the fan, I have a 80mm Sanyo Denki Petit Ace High Speed, and it puts out 42 CFM @ 34 dB, so that's a slight increase in output and noise as well. I have it on my CPU heatsink attached to a fan controller, and I've been pleased with it so far. If you want something that moves some serious air, go for the Vantec Tornado or Delta (EH I think). They both push a LOT of air. The downside is, it sounds like someone is operating a table saw/dentists drill/hair dryer inside your case.

Sneaky said:

how much worse would a 120mm fan that pushes 86cfm be with an adapter? if it isn't all that much i think i could deal with it, especially if it the difference in noise is 20db between the 80mm fan of comparable cfm.

Back