• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Molex connectors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CTringali

Registered
I just bought a used (supposidely perfect condition) Antec True Control 550w psu... so it's a really nice, and I don't want to ruin it. I really want to swap out the molex connectors with new UV ones, and possibly swap out the actual wires and replace with UV reactive wires. Which brings me to my question, how hard is each task (molex connectors and resoldering all the wires), and will doing either mess up the pervect voltages... I'm using the TwinMos sticks with Winbond UTT chips, and going to push voltages of 3.5/3.6. I really need the rock solid psu. Any ideas everyone?

Yea, I would think that UV sleaving would be better than reordering every wire, But if your willing to spend hours redoing every one it would look neater and the wires could be cut to fit your case with no slack. A note though, I find it easier to completely replace the Molex pins with all new ones after removing the old ones. And solder on the new pins. To many times I have damaged ether the pin lock or the plastic connector without knowing it and after a few tugs the pins come loose causing problems.

Thanks for the heads up on damaging the pin lock or plastic connector... Now I'm just considering if I want to void the warranty by doing all this.

So, jchsatx09, thanks for the videos, they were helpful... but one more question. He mentioned that you can remove some of the cables that you don't use by unsoldering or just cutting off and securing at the base, but what about removing and extra portion, such as a floppy connector from the standard cable with dual molex and a single floppy connector? Does that mess anything up?

No, won't hurt a thing. I do it all the time, in fact your original Idea of rewiring the rail harness and cut it to fit may even lower the resistance and improve power handling. You can get 18 gauge UV wire in several colors. This larger wire at shorter lengths and new soldered on Molex pins will make not only a neat but a more stable power source. If you use all the same color wire make sure you don't get any wires crossed in the connectors, check and double check.

guts2.JPG

The 4 pin molex connectors use that tool that can come with the vantec package... what about the other connectors? The 20 pin mobo power, and 4 pin power? Do you use the same tool, a different "specialized" tool, or just a small flathead screwdriver like you would for the 3 pin fan connectors?? And when you're putting the cables back into the molex connectors, do you just crimp them or do they just pop back in?? I'm assuming you wouldn't/can't solder them... thanks again for your help, you're all making this much easier for me!!

The remover tool works by pressing down the ears of the Molex pin that stick out slightly to keep it from going back out the hole. The female works on the same principal but pushes the ears from the inside. Often this operation will ether break off or bend the ears, and even after bending them back into place they are weakened and may break off later causing the pin to work out and make poor connection. That is why I never reuse a Molex pin after I remove it unless I have to. The pins can not be removed from one wire and reused on another because they are crimped on with a tool. So after cutting off the old pin I crimp a new one to the new wire then solder it to make a secure connection. There is a different tool for floppy connectors and ATX connectors. You can find everything you need at this site that someone in another thread turned me on to. Browse the DIY section for Ideas and supplies. Performance-pcs

Last edited:
I hate molex connectors when will they think of a better power adapter solution like the one's SATA drives have there easy to install and remove and I believe have lower voltages not sure on that 1. But the molex cables keep coming out of the plastic casing and I had to keep putting them back in to connect with the casing fans.

Back