• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Circulation: Did I do it Rite?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SquallRm

Registered
Ok i just bought two new fans and i want to know from everyones experience and knowledge if i am doing this correctly..
untitled0ts.jpg

this is the current setup..

I have two on the back blowing out.
Two in the front blowing in.
One on side Blowing out.
Cpu Blowing In.

My questions are:
Should i replace the back grills with wire grills?
Should i turn the side fan to pull air in for the hsf?
Is my setup correct?

I'd use side fan as intake, possibly with duct.
Rest seems to be ok, but my suggestion is to cut these nasty pseudo-grills in your case and replace with simple, unrestrictive wire fan grills. You will notice both temperature and noise drop.

Personally, I would have all the fans (back, front & side) blowing inward and have a top
fanless "blow hole" as the exhaust. Gave me the best overall temps.

Every case is different so do some experimentation to see what's best for you.

Susquehannock said:
Personally, I would have all the fans (back, front & side) blowing inward and have a top
fanless "blow hole" as the exhaust. Gave me the best overall temps.

Every case is different so do some experimentation to see what's best for you.
That is a very interesting concept. Has anybody else tried this?

Yeah, I'm surely not the first.

The best part about not having a fan in the blow hole is not worring about matching
the intake & exhaust CFM ratings. I have seen some rigs with all sorts of intakes and
a single 120mm exhaust up top. It made all sorts of noise since the intakes were trying
to force well over twice the air the top 120mm exhaust fan was capable of.
In my eyes it's best to let the air flow naturally.

Thats a very good idea, might be a very nice mod to do in the future, but for now, i would like to just figure how to deal with the fans i have..

i will do a test, using bios temp readings, speedfan and core center..

Before Readings
Bios: 38-40 Idle
Speed Fan: 39-42 Idle ~~ 48-50 heavy load
Core Center: 40-41 Idle ~~ 48-51 heavy load

Okay wish me luck, i have a good feeling the temps are gonna climb down..

BTW i have YET not recieved the 2 fans i ordered nor have i done any case cutting...

Ok doesn't seem like there is any difference in temps but..
when i removed the fan there was a small thin grill.. i blew onto my palm and put the moved the grill back and forth between my mouth and the palm.. there is such a big difference...

Also the led's look so much brighter shining inside its like having an entirely new case!!
image0275kh.jpg

image0280gh.jpg

anyway here are some pics.. I will post back here once i get the 2 new fans setup

Back